Your favorite species?

D Dawis

There were meant to have been Walleye introduced into this country several decades ago.Both at Woburn Abbey and on some Fenland waters.In fact there is/used to be an official Walleye British record.Many now believe that these Walleye were also Zander that were also imported from Europe at the same time.

Another thoroughly bit of useless Budgie waffle there!

Walleye certainly dont grow as big as Zander despite being extremely closely related.

really?

bit of a mix up! so they are closely realted,thought as much, more budgie waffle please :thumbs::P

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You asked for it Russ!

As far as I can remember there are four very similar species, our Zander (Stizstedion lucioperca) , the Zingel (cant remember the Latin name but they are found, although quite rare in Eastern Europe. I’ve caught a small on in Czechoslovakia), and the US’s Walleye (Stizostedion vitreum vitreum I seem to remember this name has been changed recently but cant remember what too or why! Sander something or other!) and Sauger (Sander candensis). All four have that piece of skin that covers their eyes (the tapetum lucidum I think) which gives their eyes that pearlescent “dead” look and if I remember correctly aids the night/coloured water vision.

I cant remember the exact sizes but think Im right in saying Zinel are the smallest at up to a pound or so maximum, next are Sauger at up to 5 or 6lb, walleye up to 17-18lb (but very rarely. They seem to average around 4lb) and then our Zander which are touching it here but often exceed 20lb on the Continent.

Seem to remember that the British Record “Walleye” was around 14lb? Maybe Mark Barrets looking in he might know the exact details.

NB.Please excuse if Ive spelt the Latin names wrong as Im sure some saddo will look them up and correct them for me! You all know how shot my memorey is!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Please excuse if Ive spelt the Latin names wrong as Im sure some saddo will look them up and correct them for me! You all know how shot my memorey is!

If it was up to me, it wouldn't just be your memory that was shot :bleh:;)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

You asked for it Russ!

As far as I can remember there are four very similar species, our Zander (Stizstedion lucioperca) , the Zingel (cant remember the Latin name but they are found, although quite rare in Eastern Europe. I’ve caught a small on in Czechoslovakia), and the US’s Walleye (Stizostedion vitreum vitreum I seem to remember this name has been changed recently but cant remember what too or why! Sander something or other!) and Sauger (Sander candensis). All four have that piece of skin that covers their eyes (the tapetum lucidum I think) which gives their eyes that pearlescent “dead” look and if I remember correctly aids the night/coloured water vision.

I cant remember the exact sizes but think Im right in saying Zinel are the smallest at up to a pound or so maximum, next are Sauger at up to 5 or 6lb, walleye up to 17-18lb (but very rarely. They seem to average around 4lb) and then our Zander which are touching it here but often exceed 20lb on the Continent.

Seem to remember that the British Record “Walleye” was around 14lb? Maybe Mark Barrets looking in he might know the exact details.

NB.Please excuse if Ive spelt the Latin names wrong as Im sure some saddo will look them up and correct them for me! You all know how shot my memorey is!

i did ask for it....

made intresting reading tho,didnt realise there were alot more fish out there that are similar to zeds,apart from the walleye of course,love to see some pics of em,might have a google.

talking of there eyes,thats one of teh things i love about zander,they have that glowing pink eye in photos taken at night,looks mad!

mark will probably know what the "record" was,anything zander... MB knows!

thanks for the waffle!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I don't think it would surprise regulars to hear that my favourite fish are perch!

The reasons are that, although small ones are easy, big perch are very difficult to catch consistently. Of the coarse species I've targeted only big gravel pit bream have offered more of a challenge.

Additionally perch can be caught from almost any type of water, at any time of the year, using a wide variety of methods, and on both bait and lures.

However I'm very much an all-rounder and wouldn't like to fish for just one species for the rest of my life. If I had to though it would undoubtedly be perch.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

No favorite species, just favorite methods. It depends on time of year and what I feel like at the time.

Carp seem to fight the hardest, though I 've never had a catfish ,but I actually enjoy fishing for pike the most , so pike are my favourite species in the UK. They look so menacing and are beautifully marked.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

You asked for it Russ!

Yes, the walleye is now officially called Sander vitreus

The tapetum lucidum, while it may be derived from epidermal cells, coats the inside of the eye, under the cones and rods. The tapetum lucidum has a guanine component in its cells that reflect light back to the cones and rods, much like a curved mirror. This allows them to see in low light and night time conditions. I could use a tapetum lucidum for night time fishing!

Dave D

Edited by D Dawis