Attenborough Zander?

wesley

Good point about the whales. I think we have to except commercial exploitation by humans from "nature".

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm facinated with how you equate the poor fishing that you've experienced with the presence of zander.

Presumably, the fish that you are there to target would be roach, bream, tench and carp weighing 10oz or more and thise fish are simply not in any danger from zander no matter how big they are.

The zander are just another species and will slip into the ecosystem with the only overall negative impact caused by their presence being slight reductions in the numbers of pike and perch because there are the species that zander will compeat with for food.

Out of interest, what did you do with the zander ?

Sorry I'm greedy, I like a stock excess in the gentler species lik myself. Turn your facination to the grey squirrel and the decline of the song bird population and how many indigenous fish species don't grow to 10oz.

Sorry I'm greedy, I like a stock excess in the gentler species lik myself. Turn your facination to the grey squirrel and the decline of the song bird population and how many indigenous fish species don't grow to 10oz.

wesley,

are you sure it was a zander? i ask because there are regularly reports of zeds getting into the broads, which turn out to be either ruffe or schoolie sea bass.

if the water is linked to the trent then theres every possibility that your right, but theres no need to panic, after all every country in the world that has zeds stiill have all the naturally small fish, because quite simply if the zander ate all the small fish, they would cease to be.

the ultimate losers in this will be as others have stated will be the other predators as the balance will mean less of these, if its suitable for zander. but that last point is the most important. just because you have one or two in there it doesnt mean that they will be successful. i know of two fenland rivers, the wissey and lark, where catching zander is very slow going because they never got established, and thats in the heart of zander country.

my personal opinion is that if your water has got plenty of perch in them, especially if they get to a good size, then zander strugle to get established.

Edited by mark barrett

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Have to agree with chavender here, last time i herad there were 140+ pairs of black ducks roosting on the pits

wesley,

are you sure it was a zander? i ask because there are regularly reports of zeds getting into the broads, which turn out to be either ruffe or schoolie sea bass.

if the water is linked to the trent then theres every possibility that your right, but theres no need to panic, after all every country in the world that has zeds stiill have all the naturally small fish, because quite simply if the zander ate all the small fish, they would cease to be.

the ultimate losers in this will be as others have stated will be the other predators as the balance will mean less of these, if its suitable for zander. but that last point is the most important. just because you have one or two in there it doesnt mean that they will be successful. i know of two fenland rivers, the wissey and lark, where catching zander is very slow going because they never got established, and thats in the heart of zander country.

my personal opinion is that if your water has got plenty of perch in them, especially if they get to a good size, then zander strugle to get established.

My point is that I don't want to be an "ultimate loser". I want to be the top predator over nice friendly little fishies. You strong brave macho types ,"guys" should stop trying to dominate fishing and give the more sensitive sensible angler a chance. Anyway, I don't think you've ever seen a fishy in real life or you'd be up there trying to catch a bit of "Ruffe" or "b ass".

Edited by wesley

Wesley why are you behaving like a prick? No one was giving you a hard time just trying to answer your post.Have a good read up on predator/prey ratios and relations in freshwater fish on any of the countless internet sites or better still get a book wrote by someone qualified in the subject.

You then wont make a fool of yourself or get flack from others.Simpler still if you dont really want an answer then dont ask a question! Same goes if you dont want to hear views that differ from yours.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Have a look at Wesleys nine posts so far and once read ask yourself the question; is he a prick or a troll or is he both or none of the above

I've just had the pleasure of reading his contribution to date and have made my mind up, have others done the same and if so which side of the fence do you think he falls on

Wesley why are you behaving like a prick? No one was giving you a hard time just trying to answer your post.Have a good read up on predator/prey ratios and relations in freshwater fish on any of the countless internet sites or better still get a book wrote by someone qualified in the subject.

You then wont make a fool of yourself or get flack from others.Simpler still if you dont really want an answer then dont ask a question! Same goes if you dont want to hear views that differ from yours.

Dito.

There's been zander in the Trent, Soar, and surrounding pits for many years, so I wouldn't worry. Biggest I've seen is 6lb but I've heard reports of 10lb fish.