new fisherman

feelingblue

just starting out on the fishing scene. i'm going with my mates to a lake in stock, essex in a couple of weeks for a night session. already everyone is going on about how much money to put in for the biggest catch, thing is i don't really know what sort of bait to use, they have just told me to get some flavoured boilies. is there anything out there that is going well at the moment??

just looking to upset the apple cart by being the complete amateur who wins the pot!!

Its not a gurantee but nothing is at the moment i'm havuing success with 8-10 mm pellets superglued to a hair rig .

its simple really tie a knoteless knot (sure someone knows where a decent sketch of how to do it is)

leave a tail (no loop required about an inch past the bend of hook (i never bother to trim it )

then superglue 2 pellets together sandwiching the hair between the two loose feed smaller pellets and about 10 the same size of hookbait.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

while it's still warm(ish) mate - try some big cubes of flavoured luncheon meat in the margins. if they are going high tech and castin into the distance, that will really p**s them off if you catch..... and I'll bet you will.

Couple of tins of sweetcorn round your hook bait, bosh, bit of patience - simple :)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I would tend to use sweetcorn. Brilliant bait that will catch most things. However, if you haven't fished before, why on earth are you going night fishing? It is one of the hardest and probably the most boring ways of fishing. One advantage you will have is that the fish will be close to the margin at night so don't cast too far away from the bank. The closer the better. Just cast to the left or right of where you are based.

just starting out on the fishing scene. i'm going with my mates to a lake in stock, essex in a couple of weeks for a night session. already everyone is going on about how much money to put in for the biggest catch, thing is i don't really know what sort of bait to use, they have just told me to get some flavoured boilies. is there anything out there that is going well at the moment??

just looking to upset the apple cart by being the complete amateur who wins the pot!!

I think you should take notice of what has been said about the margins. very good advice.

now i would think along the lines that you have 2 weeks now.

get to your tackle shop, but think what method are you going to fish., some one said swet corn which is a great idea. catches most things, and might keep you pottering along and keeping your net full while others wait for the big one..

anyway, i would take most baits with you, maggots, sweetcorn, casters, boilies, sweet corn, bread,

if they have not put a ban on you visiting the venue, i then would start to feed the margins, for the next couple of weeks. every other day if you can. get them used to what your going to fish, and hopely they will come looking on the day you fish,, how many rods you fishing as a matter of thought.

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

cheers for the advice guys will; defo be looking into doing this.

i will be fishing with two rods, just invested heavily in all the gear...... ouch£££

Whatever happened to an anglers apprenticeship ? Read some Crabtree and catch some Perch on the float. It is the natural progression as an angler, learning the essential watercraft and getting fishing in your blood which makes you a lifelong angler. Watch the Passion for Angling series and you will get my drift.

There are so many "fad" anglers about, just look at the Carp gear for sale, probably to finance the next fad. Golf anyone ?

Martin.

Read some Crabtree and catch some Perch on the float. It is the natural progression as an angler, learning the essential watercraft and getting fishing in your blood which makes you a lifelong angler.

Hi Martin and welcome to AnglersNet.

The way you mention is certainly one way to be introduced to angling and is a good one but not the only way. I had been fishing for nearly 60 years before I tried my first float and well over 55 years before I caught my first perch so it is possible to get a love of the sport with other beginnings.

I don't really think that feelingblue has time to get a Crabtree style traditional start but if he has fun, that will probably do nearly as well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

cheers for the advice guys will; defo be looking into doing this.

i will be fishing with two rods, just invested heavily in all the gear...... ouch£££

Hi,

I know what it feels like to rebuy loads of gear, but i had fished before. I hope your fishing for a good many years, just dont get disheartened if you dont catch loads or a massive fish at the beginning ( i cant now lol ).

have fun fishing

Bob