Conflict on the riverbank

Colin Brett

I for one know my opinions are based on experience, i have seen immigrants commiting the offences, but for some reason, their actions are justified because they have cultural differences?

Ultimately the problem will only get worse if people hide behind race issues, lets be realistic and accept the problem needs dealing with, and education will simply not solve it.

No, nobody is saying their actions are justified because of cultural differences. They're understandable because of cultural differences. Huge difference. In case there's any doubt, I for one wholeheartedly believe that immigrants do need to integrate into our society.

And yes, poaching is an issue that needs tackling. But without some kind of education program, all I can see left to do the job is law-enforcement alone.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sportsman/ & anderoo. so what do you think i should have done sold them the fish, i love this sport to much, this is not the first time that i have thrown someone in, the last time was those animal protection idiots, no one threatens my family or me, and they got arrested for asking to buy the fish off us, i spend a lot of money as i am sure a lot of other anglers do on the propper gear hooks bait etc ,and i abide by the rules. and I DONT SELL THE FISH TO ANYONE. if i am in a match i net weigh and release at the end of the day, if it is a pleasure trip i catch and release straight away.

sportsman/ & anderoo. so what do you think i should have done sold them the fish, i love this sport to much, this is not the first time that i have thrown someone in, the last time was those animal protection idiots, no one threatens my family or me, and they got arrested for asking to buy the fish off us, i spend a lot of money as i am sure a lot of other anglers do on the propper gear hooks bait etc ,and i abide by the rules. and I DONT SELL THE FISH TO ANYONE. if i am in a match i net weigh and release at the end of the day, if it is a pleasure trip i catch and release straight away.

No one is suggesting you don't love fishing and fish, or that you would sell fish, I just didn't know you could be arrested fo asking to buy fish.

BTW throwing them in was not a good move, you could be charged with common assault, assault with battery or assault occasioning actual bodily harm and given the fact they were Asian this could also be called racially aggravated assault so you could have ended up in court and possibly prison.

I am amazed that the Police did not pursue their enquiries against you, and that they just took your word and the word of the other party, how lucky are you :)

PS How do you catch Tench when your Pike fishing ?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

and they got arrested for asking to buy the fish off us

Is that an offence?

better put the local bobbies onto the fishmonger then. He sells the things in broad daylight.

mate you really are lucky not to find yourself on an assault charge I can tell you that for nothing, what if one of them had drowned?

I think you shouldn't have thrown them in ;) . Obviously you shouldn't sell them your fish - surely that goes without saying? I can't believe people were arrested for attempting to buy fish and you weren't for common assault.

While I'm here, phrases like 'like flies around muck' and 'not a bad days fishing,twelve pike, four tench, loads of perch, two asians, not bad' do little to disguise the real point of your post.

Reassuring to hear you've thrown plenty of people in lakes. Nice one. With people like you on the front line, England is safe :thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think I have made my views on the underlying reasons behind this nonsensical issue before so I'm not going to repeat myself. However, I'd be very interested if anyone thinks this issue has a greater impact on fish stocks than on say:

Anglers fishing with little or no experience,

Use of inadequate tackle,

Lack of unhooking mats,

Incorrect use of keepnets,

Diseases spread by angler’s nets,

Pollution,

Use of live baits,

Cormorants,

Treble hooks.

Rich

Guest long-trotter

T.C Who arrested these guys? You see I am a Police officer in another area, unless some new laws have been past asking to buy fish is not an offence? If I was the attending officer to such an incident I would be questioning why both guys were drenched and pressing those involved for a plausible explanation.

If what you say is true, and things went wrong you could in the worst case be looking at a manslaughter charge if premeditation was proven even murder.

I understand you love your sport but value your freedom and life more, think how your family would feel if you were charged with a serious offence

Lecture over. Next time if you are being harassed by individuals, phone the police, it’s not a triple nine call so before you go fishing look up you non emergency police contact number and put it with your licence give it a call and someone will attend “eventually”. It’s good to get feedback from anglers and the general public as it helps us target our recourses and build a picture of whets going on.

Fenland locals have been seen taking large pike for years and match anglers used to routinely throw pike up the bank to rot in the grass. I remember seeing two men with a fertiliser sack full of pike years ago, taken from the Folly River that runs into the Welland. I'm sure it still goes on, especially with zander.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I guess it is down to education. Some clubs round my way have started putting up posters

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/5342000.stm

I know that ignorance of the law is no defense againt prosecution, but we are all guilty of it to a greater or lesser extent when in foreign lands.

For example I know that some AN members drive to Spain to fish. I bet a pound to a penny they're are some who don't know that by law in Spain you must carry a hi-viz vest for every occupant of your car and that they must be carried IN THE CAR, not in the boot.

How many of you who drive to France to fish can tell me (without Googleing) what these road signs mean?

AB61.gifAB71.gif

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote