Newbie needs advice

jevs

Although i've fished for just about all species since i started fishing some 35 years ago, i've always wanted to fly fish for trout.

I know a lot about watercraft, seeing what's hatching on the river etc etc and i've tied thousands of flies for other people in the past.

But i've never cast a fly in anger. The idea of standing around a featureless resevoir just seems like Mackerel fishing off Brighton marina....although i appreciate this would be a good place to learn the trade. I would eventually love to fish some of the crystal clear chalk streams of southern England.

I have a rod but that's it. What i need to know is about what reels to use and about the different lines (weights, sizes, what they're used for etc).

I live just north of Brighton (Lewes) and there's a few resevoirs around but i presume i'd have to go to Hampshire or similar to find the rivers....unless anyone knows differently !!!

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Although i've fished for just about all species since i started fishing some 35 years ago, i've always wanted to fly fish for trout.

I know a lot about watercraft, seeing what's hatching on the river etc etc and i've tied thousands of flies for other people in the past.

But i've never cast a fly in anger. The idea of standing around a featureless resevoir just seems like Mackerel fishing off Brighton marina....although i appreciate this would be a good place to learn the trade. I would eventually love to fish some of the crystal clear chalk streams of southern England.

I have a rod but that's it. What i need to know is about what reels to use and about the different lines (weights, sizes, what they're used for etc).

I live just north of Brighton (Lewes) and there's a few resevoirs around but i presume i'd have to go to Hampshire or similar to find the rivers....unless anyone knows differently !!!

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Hi Andy

Where to start ? First of all, where. I don't know your particular area but you don't have to stand around on the banks of featureless resevoirs. There will almost certainly be several small stocked fisheries in your area and this may be a good starting place. Fly fishing for stockies can be as interesting as you want to make it. You can pull a lure on a sinking line and you will probably get plenty of fish and I agree, it can seem a bit like mackeral fishing, or you can twitch a little spider or buzzer on a floating line and have challenging and superb sport, and these small fisheries are often the place to do this type of fishing.

You say you have a rod but need advice on the rest of the tackle. The problem is that the key to fly fishing is balance, so I would need to know a lot more detail about the rod before I could advise on line etc.

Somewhere on the rod it will give a recommended line weight. This refers to the weight of fly line that this particular rod is designed to cast. A normal rod for bankfishing is likely to be in the range of 6/7/8 wt.

One you have established the weight of the line you would need to decide on type of line, floating, inetmediate / slow sink fast sink etc. I would suggest you can do 80% of your fishing with a floating line. This is used to present the fly on the surface or within the upper few feet.

You would need a reel of a size to hold the chosen line plus some backing, then of course there are all of the other toys that you will need :)

Once you have decided you like the idea, and have learned to cast properly and have assembled some appropriate balanced tackle, then maybe off to the chalk streams. Failing that of course you could come up here to Scotland and fish for some "proper" wild brown trout :thumbs:

I f you want some more detailed advice you could email me or send me a PM

Good luck with it anyway

Dave

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Andy,masses of fising down your way.

Chalk Springs,Arundell

Brick Farm ,Herstmonceaux.Usually very easy to get your limit,and reasonable prices.

Borringwheel,Nutley

Hazlecopse,Rudgwick.Not pretty,but the owner is a genuine sort.

Duncton Mill.My favorite.Only open October onwards for non members.Superb facilities.

Barcombe Reservoir.Re opens in October until December.Very reasonable prices,good conditioned fish.

Lakedown.

Blackwool,Petworth area.

If you wanted to get some easy fishing in,Brick Farm is the place to go.Very basic,not at all attractive but honest prices,plenty of fish and no need for long casting.Usually manage a limit there when we go.Warning,weekends are a nightmare,so go mid week.