Clonks and Catfishing

Newt

Budgie has several times over the years mentioned using a device called a Clonk to call large catfish. Basically a specially shaped stick that you use to make a 'thunk' sound in the water. Not really sure what the cats think they are hearing but he had said the Wels would often come visiting.

We had wondered if the same device would work with the US flathead catfish which is somewhat similar to the Wels but more of a pure pred in that they will only bite on large live baits.

When Jan & I visited the UK, we went to Fritton Lake for a day's pike angling with lures. Budgie and Andrew were there and at the end of a wet day's fishing, Budgie gave me a clonk he had brought along and a quick how-to session with it.

I still have not given the thing a try but I just finished watching a DVD where a professional US catfishing guide used one on an outing with a client. She caught two flatheads while they were filming and one was only about 6 lbs below the current state record of 78 lbs. Since flatheads are a warm weather fish, I may have to wait until next spring but you can bet my local lakes are going to see their first-ever clonk in use. I was really surprised to find a catfish tackle website in the US was selling them although made of aluminum rather than the more traditional wood.

I noticed that the client was able to get a better sound than the guide did after only a couple minutes of trying. After the DVD, Jan & I went to the small pool we have behind our house and sure enough, she gets a much better thunk & vibration than I do so I guess I gotta put in some serious practice time. According to the guide, he can lure large flatheads out of the log piles they enjoy (where they can't be caught) and as them come toward the sound, they may stop and munch on the 1-3 lb baits they find swimming around.

If you've never seen one, Click Here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Saw an episode of matt hayes i think it was on the ebro or something with a tour guide using one, had a couple of cats i think. They said the noise simulates another big catfish thrashing around on the surface and attracts them.

Edited by steve17

steve.

Saw an episode of matt hayes i think it was on the ebro or something with a tour guide using one, had a couple of cats i think. They said the noise simulates another big catfish thrashing around on the surface and attracts them.

I seem to recall reading about a guy in a rowing boat on the Ebro, he'd been fishing for 'cats'. While moving to another swim, a monster 'cat' rose to the sound of the oars on the water. It was reported as so big that the guy had to row to the bank and have a cig' while he calmed down, he was shaking so much! :o

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

When Matt fished with us he wouldnt try clonking! said it was all rubbish! he hadnt even caught a cat by then.

Ive heard people say that it simulates the sound of cats striking at prey fish on the surface as well......makes me wonder if they have ever heard this! also that it simulates the sound of prey fish on the surface....erm ditto! Ive heard the "correct" tone a clonk makes thousands of times (er as well as a lot of pretty strange ones whilst learning!) it sounds like no prey fish Ive heard or striking catfish! Ive even heard it whilst under water and same again.Even more scientific (ish) Ive listened to digital recordings and duplications of it and it still sounds like nothing Ive heard naturally.

Even been involved in the production of an electronic "clonking" device! I dont reckon its got anything to do with the sound as we hear it but more the sonic vibration it sends.Quite what the cats think it is I dont know and dont even care any more! the fact that when first used on "clonking virgin" water it is truely amazing is good enough for me.Not that there is a great deal of that left now!

The Eastern European fishermen who first invented this method never had the problem of the cats wising up to it as all were killed for food.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I seem to recall reading about a guy in a rowing boat on the Ebro, he'd been fishing for 'cats'. While moving to another swim, a monster 'cat' rose to the sound of the oars on the water. It was reported as so big that the guy had to row to the bank and have a cig' while he calmed down, he was shaking so much! :o

Olivier Portrait claims he can raise cats simply by stamping his foot on the floor of his boat!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!