Perch fishing

Norfolkdan

take what andy says as gospel, been out many a time with andy for big perch and they are freakin amazing, my pb is like 2lb and somthin pictured in my avatar.

size 16 hook, lobworms, any float preferibly waggler, fish about 2ft bellow surface (deeper if needed), cast, let worm settle, after less than a minute one sharp turn of the handle then let it settle again, repeat this. using maggots will more than likly get you small perch, also try spinners with size 1 blades and small trebles

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Some excellent advice here already!

You'll find the feeding habits of perch vary from water to water (and sometimes from year to year!). So you'll probably find this one of my perch articles here on Angler's Net to be of help: http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve09.htm

If the water is clear then lures, if allowed, would be a good bet, especially if you can cast along the bank close to the lilies. Big perch in particular are less inclined to chase a lure into open water, except in poor light such as at dawn and dusk. In murky water though I've found baits usually outfish lures.

This certainly looks like a good perch swim, especially if the sun is off the water. Other favoured areas are where the light is poor. Perch have better eyesight than any coarse fish other than zander. They feed best in low light when they have an advantage over their poorer-sighted prey.

Time of year can make a difference too, with late in the season being better as much of the natural food, including fry, has already been eaten.

Baitwise I'd go along with worms, and feed free samples of both half and chopped worm along with maggots. I also agree with feeding for some time (half an hour isn't too long) before casting in. I'd then try the biggest lobworm I had. This often attracts the greediest and biggest member of the shoal who barges every other perch out of the way!

Once I'd started fishing I'd also feed a second spot, maybe at the other end of the lilies. You could then alternate between these places to lessen the chance of spooking the fish. I'd also try a few casts in between these spots.

Note by the way that this is a different feeding system to when using livebaits and deadbaits.

If a whole lob (with the end nipped off) doesn't work try smaller pieces of worm as some days the perch prefer this. I hook the worm in the head and choose a hook size to suit the size of the worm - for instance a size 6 on a whole lob. Too small a hook can lead to missed bites. Head hooking means less chance of the point of the hook being covered and also makes it more natural when the worm is twitched.

Depth is very important, and perch don't always feed on the bottom, although I'd start there. If no bites are forthcoming gradually try shallowing up. The optimum depth often depends on the amount of underwater light - usually the brighter it is, the deeper the feeding perch are.

As for tackle I'd use a reel line of 4 to 5lbs breaking strain with a lighter hooklength. I always prefer to float fish for perch whenever possible as this minimises resistance. If you can, position yourself so that you can cast along the lilies. If not you'll need to use a heavy float and have nearly all the weight around it. That way the float will travel first and the bait will follow behind and swing towards the lilies.

As I said at the beginning of this post, perch behave differently in each water. What works on one venue may not on another, even if it seems similar. You'll therefore need to experiment. Above all if at first you don't succeed, try something different.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

For what it is worth an old mate of mine used to target anything LARGE! But his favourite was always Perch!! Lobworms, 6Lb line size 4/6 hook and nothing else!! IF he used a float it was a piece of quill/reed and was usually float legered. His best won the AT Drennan award several times. His wife ASLO won the same awrd using the same tactics. The BEST ideas for Perch are the simplest!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 2 weeks later...
Hoping to get out fishing this week and try for the perch.

The lake I'm going to is renowned for big perch and I believe they've had them to 4lb+.

This is the swim I would like to target as last time I fished here we had plenty of perch, but none bigger than 10oz. I also saw some fry being chased, although no deads or lives are allowed.

gianas.jpg

Any tips for fishing this swim?

Last time most of the perch came to maggot and the worms (dendrobaenas) didn't produce much.

I should be able to get hold of some lobs and plenty of mags.

I was thinking of using mags and chopped worm for loosefeed with a big juicy lob on the hook. Sound ok?

Also, what tackle would you recommend? (what lb line, size hook etc..)

Cheers all :)

Ooh, also any ideal weather conditions?

Did you have any luck Dan?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music