Grayling Bash, Timsbury 2006

Tony U

Guest Ferret1959
He meant to turn left out of the fishery, but went right instead. It's been a tough couple of days for him since.... :D

I got lost in the fog.:D

Got to Burnham and nowt but bluddy fog for two days, didn't get to finish me maggits off.:(

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please may I thank all those involved for organising a great day out.

Although we had a cold start, the weather was great and in spite of being an absolute stranger to AN, everyone I met was VERY friendly but, I guess that’s because we are all anglers and as such, nice people…!

I didn’t’ catch a single Grayling but was happy with my 3 brownies (1 of which was caught on a worm provided by someone who shall remain nameless! – worming on the Test, whatever next!)

Already looking forward to the next trip and to reading your posts in the meantime.

Thanks again for an entertaining day out.

Regards, Maranman

Thanks to Tony Sue & Kayc for aranging the trip, although I'm fairly local to the Test and I'm known to have 'borrowed' quite a few of it's trout over the years I never turn down the chance to fish it!

So - hardest frost so far this year certainly seemed to put the fish down - I took along a workmate 'suspect Bob' as he's known at work! and we started by poaching 'Leons' swim down at the bottom end, I got a rainbow on the first trot and quickly followed that with a small grayling and another rainbow of about 2Lb - then it was hard work!

Went back to the car at lunch time & got my polariods out - now I could see the carp in the slow carrier & snaffled a very dark nr leather 3lb'r out with a bread crust before going back to 'the main event', Bob had continued to flog the same 100 yards he'd been on 1/2 the morning & although I pointed out a few fish on the bars he steadfastly stuck to it, I then had a nice sea trout on untill I knocked it off at the net.

Bob stuck at it betwixt the tree's and as the light faded he got a decent fish on, what it was we'll never know as it bore about in a deep circle for a minute or two before the hold went - maybe an elusive Test Barble?? certainly saw a few fishy shapes on the bars that looked barbly - then again a few Red Salmon as well - rather early methinks?

As we walked back to the car the fast carrier seemed to be stuffed with fish, might try a magot fly over them next time.

Once again the place feels magical, and I think that's the thing with these types of waters - they hold a real fishy magnetisim that keeps pulling us back, maybe that water has some special gravity??

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.