Freshwater Kayaking

Marginmaster

Hi there, in answer to your questions, First off one does need a club licence for kayak fishing any part of the river etc that is under licence to a fishing club, one also needs a rod licence.

I fish for pike on the exeter shipping canel and have a lot of fun trying for them on the fly, or with lures.

At first I took some stick from bank fisherman, but on showing them that I had the club/ rod licence and was keeping to club rules of barbless hooks etc, then all was find,

I have been away from the site for most of the summer and taking the kayak out over some great fishing grounds here in france,

This winter the canel calls again, its great to just go to parts that the bank angler find harder to get to,

I use a P13, which is idea, and now use a fold up rod which I found in france.

Hope you enjoy the kayak, I have used mine a lot more then the boat, anyone want to buy a 19 foot bayliner ?????????

terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Steve and there are restrictions where boats are allowed and Kayaks are not for the purpose of fishing. This is particularly true in England but there seem to be less restrictions in Scotland and next to none in Ireland. A post last year indiacted that there were waters in Wales that did allow Kayak fishing and also the Lakes.

From my own experience I tried a number of stillwater fisheries in Northumberland and was told in no unceratin terms that kayaks were not allowed as fishing craft. Something to do with insurance and public liability. One water told me that I could put the kayak on the water but couldn't fish from it :wallbash:

So there you go

Murph

Hi, I remember something about someone telling me about 3rd party insurrance being needed on sites, but god knows what harm a kayak can do I don,t know. Its best to check out the waters you are thinking of fishing, ring the fishing clubs, I know that sometime ago there was a big to do about kayaks on rivers, and so say no go areas,

best to be on the safe side, I have hear that some bank fisherman have been known to use kayaks etc as targets for their leads.

terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hi, I remember something about someone telling me about 3rd party insurrance being needed on sites, but god knows what harm a kayak can do I don,t know. Its best to check out the waters you are thinking of fishing, ring the fishing clubs, I know that sometime ago there was a big to do about kayaks on rivers, and so say no go areas,

best to be on the safe side, I have hear that some bank fisherman have been known to use kayaks etc as targets for their leads.

terry

Hi lads, don't know if this would help but I've heard you can get 3rd party insurance (and other benefits) when you join the BCU.

I think the annual fee is around £30. cheers

The matter of insurance has come up from time to time. Membership of the BCU gives you Third Party Kayak insurance (as well as permission to paddle most of the waterways in the UK) but that additional cover is needed to cover your fishing activities. Sea Fishing cover (third party liability) can be obtained by membership of the NFSA and Freshwater cover by membership of the British Field Sports Society (which probably gives you cover to shoot ducks from a kayak too!). Does anyone use their Yak to go shooting?

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

The matter of insurance has come up from time to time. Membership of the BCU gives you Third Party Kayak insurance (as well as permission to paddle most of the waterways in the UK) but that additional cover is needed to cover your fishing activities. Sea Fishing cover (third party liability) can be obtained by membership of the NFSA and Freshwater cover by membership of the British Field Sports Society (which probably gives you cover to shoot ducks from a kayak too!). Does anyone use their Yak to go shooting?

Moonyaker

Well I hadn't.........

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Marginmaster & Piker gone carpin, As Martin has said, we occasionally fish Llangorse in mid Wales, and also I have a go on Coniston in the Lake District during the summer.

If we can get enough interest, a freshwater meet might be on the cards this winter and perhaps we can arrange a venue and date for a winter predator bash.

A Llangorse Pike

nifty :)

Nifty, Martin

I would be well up for a meet on Langorse, I fished there many years ago and have always wanted to return. Pike on the yak sounds better than sitting in the haven waiting for a no show on the cod.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Nifty, Martin

I would be well up for a meet on Langorse, I fished there many years ago and have always wanted to return. Pike on the yak sounds better than sitting in the haven waiting for a no show on the cod.

GB

Do they allow yaks on Bosherton lilly ponds GB from what i remember there are some right big lumps in there!

went up llangorse on Friday to get to grips with new kayak (Chrisw old prowler) and there were fry being chased into the margins all along the reeds at the top end of the lake.

john

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk