Entering My First Match - Tips Please

fish-on

Hi Folks,

In a couple of weeks time i will be entering my first ever privately run match at my local commercial lake (stocked full of silverfish, bream, tench and carp upto 10lb), I am excited about the prospect but also a little aprehensive and there are a few things i am not sure of and could do with some advice from hardened match anglers.

I aim to use a pole but should i take a rod/reel too just incase things are 'slow' on the pole, if so would a feeder rod be best suited? Should i take as many baits as i can think of or just the basic few (pellets, corn, maggots, meat)? and what about groundbait/hemp etc? (there are no groundbait or similar limits or bans), Should i be targeting silverfish and tackle/bait up accordingly, or should i beef things up slightly and aim for the bigger fish?

Also, i have sat and watched a few matches but have not been there to witness the start/finish, therefore am not 100% sure of the match proceedures, so is it normal practice for all entrants to set up their gear all ready to cast out before the match, and is pre-baiting allowed before the start?

Any advice on these matters and anything else a 'first-timer' should know is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Stu.

dont over complicate yourself to a reccy first and decide on a cpl of tactics and baits.

if you try to many things you'll just spend a fortune and become pools fodder in the process.

If you dont know the venue wel do your homework first as far as baits and tactics. Get down there and ask those fishing it for hints and tips.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Totally agree you really should know the best ways to fish a water before entering a match.Otherwise you will be just linning some one elses pocket!

On a water you dont know you need to go down and watch a match on it.See what the best methods/tactics/baits are then go down there and perfect them by practice!

As for the protocol of a match.Normally you will have ample time after the draw and before the match starts to set up all of your tackle etc.Most rules say you cant "break the water" other than to position your keepnet and mix up your groundbait.Some small club/friendly matches allow you to plumb the depth before the whistle but as with all of the rules check this first.You certainly cant start feeding the swim before the off.

Match fishing can be great fun at all levels just make sure you are in the "right" level though! Normally starting off fishing the smaller or club matchs is the best start.These as they dont have a lot of money at stake are a lot friendlier.You will also learn a lot from these.Once you can consistantly come in the top three in these then start looking further afield.

In your early days your only involvement in the large opens should be sat behind the local "top rod" watching him! You will learn this way and save a fortune in wasted pools! Good luck and above all have fun.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Folks,

In a couple of weeks time i will be entering my first ever privately run match at my local commercial lake (stocked full of silverfish, bream, tench and carp upto 10lb), I am excited about the prospect but also a little aprehensive and there are a few things i am not sure of and could do with some advice from hardened match anglers.

I aim to use a pole but should i take a rod/reel too just incase things are 'slow' on the pole, if so would a feeder rod be best suited? Should i take as many baits as i can think of or just the basic few (pellets, corn, maggots, meat)? and what about groundbait/hemp etc? (there are no groundbait or similar limits or bans), Should i be targeting silverfish and tackle/bait up accordingly, or should i beef things up slightly and aim for the bigger fish?

Also, i have sat and watched a few matches but have not been there to witness the start/finish, therefore am not 100% sure of the match proceedures, so is it normal practice for all entrants to set up their gear all ready to cast out before the match, and is pre-baiting allowed before the start?

Any advice on these matters and anything else a 'first-timer' should know is very much appreciated.

If it's in a few weeks try to get down there and watch what other anglers are doing, from that devise a match plan and stick to it, dont watch anglers either side of you and take your time. a fish in the net is worth two lost.

Good luck

Let us know how you get on

Cheers,

Stu.

Edited by MALC2

atb

malc