Fitting Elastic On A Pole Advice Please.

fish-on

Hi Folks,

Any advice would be great.

My first pole that i bought a few days ago came already elasticated with number 6 elastic, this is not really ideal as i aim to use the pole mainly on my local lake and target the huge stock of carp upto 10lb. I am in the process of changing the elastic but could do with some reassurance that i'm doing it right and also have a couple of questions. I know that a tackle shop can do the job for me, but i'd like to learn how to do it myself as if anything breaks down when i'm sitting at the lakeside fishing it makes sense to be able to fix it.

I have removed the no6 size internal bush in the top of the pole and replaced it with a 12-14 external bush, the internal bush that was removed was attached to a 12" rod, do i replace the rod in the top section even though there is not a bush or was the rod in place simply to hold the internal bush in?

I am a little concerned as to the bung sizing choice, even though it was the larger choice from the tackle shop, it still slips up into the 2nd section of the pole about 12" which i assume is way too much? should it be just an inch or two inside the bottom of the second section? and how exactly does the bung retractor rod work, it basically resembles a drinking straw with a small 1" long flattened section, there appears to be nothing on the bottom of the bung to attach the retractor to, so how is the bung removed?

Fitting the elastic seems straight forward enough, i attach it to the top of the bung, thread it up through the 2 top sections, stretch it slightly and attach it to the stonfo connector? does that sound about right?

Many thanks in advance.

Stu.

Hi Stu.

Follow THIS LINK to see how to elasticate a pole. It runs through the complete process.

Hope it helps. :)

I would also have a length of doubled elastic (basically just a 12 inch long loop of elastic that is attached to the bung) as insurance against a really large fish.

Rich

Be a bit careful with your pole mate. Check that it didn't have no 6 elastic in it for a reason ie it isn't meant for big carp. Most poles have a maximum elastic you can put in them.

The problem isn't the top 2 (which may be a power top 2) or the elastic it's the pressure put on the thrird and fourth sections when you hit a big fish. I have seen a third section smashed trying to play a fish. Its really all to do with getting to know your pole and what its limitations are. By the way the the link Gaz51 gave you was top. I don't think I've seen such a detailed explanation, and with pictures.

Tight lines :)

On some poles(check the max laccy rating) you can just take the top section out of the pole and get a big bush to fit the top of the no.2 and elasticate the 2nd and 3rd sections, very handy for the thicker hollow laccys. It also saves you from butchering the no.1 sections so you can still rig them up with light elastic

Edited by badexcuseforanangler

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

Many thanks for the advice and suggestions all, the pole is rated upto 16 elastic so it should cope ok with a 12. I have elasticated two top sections using the information provided in the link above and am now all ready to go and try out the pole!

Cheers,

Stu.