sensitivity

chesters1

I am a bit confused about sensitivity .

Is it small is better than big or vice versa.

2 action cams ,one is 1.4 V/lux-sec the other 960mV / (Lux-sec)

The cameras internals are different one has a 5mp sensor the other 20mp the former of course is far cheaper and has the first vluxe number but is the former better in low light or the second?

The smaller version is newer than the big one an unusual scenario but I guess if you want 20mp pictures you use a real camera

One is the maptaq qcamz eco fhd the other err the non eco

http://maptaq.co.uk/qcamz-rec-your-limits/q-camz-q-fhd.html

http://www.mytrendyphone.co.uk/shop/maptaq-qcamz-1080p-125361p.html

I want a camera so I can send my son my metal detecting outings to watch ,I bought a pair of what would have been perfect 1080p glasses but returned them as the description was far from the actual performance ,I don't want to buy something big that stands out so these are more bullet shaped so may be easier to strap to my headphones than the excellent sj1000 or 4000

PS I certainly won't be spending as much as the page mentions there's far cheaper about!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I am a bit confused about sensitivity .

Is it small is better than big or vice versa.

2 action cams ,one is 1.4 V/lux-sec the other 960mV / (Lux-sec)

The cameras internals are different one has a 5mp sensor the other 20mp the former of course is far cheaper and has the first vluxe number but is the former better in low light or the second?

Those (V/lux-sec) aren't something that I know anything about (I've never seen them as part of a camera specification) and I presume they are a feature of *trail* cameras: but all cameras need to record an image somehow and in that respect the size of the sensor is probably the most important factor.

http://www.gizmag.com/camera-sensor-size-guide/26684/

Confused myself ,I guess its some video specific rather than still camera ? Could it be the ability to react to light or record it?

Don't need high quality but I found you need a big FOV so you can pick up what your filming without knowing where the camera is actually looking at ,I tried a cheap tiny one that captured everything but what I wanted it to as the FOV was tiny (one of those tiny muvo things) ,fine with glasses but the battery life was tiny and no battery you could change in the field so you could carry on

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Vlux/ sec refers to the cameras ability to shoot quality footage in low light conditions.

10 lux is the ability of a camera to take a picture Using the light of ten candles from 1 metre away.

The lower the number the more sensitive to light the camera is and the better quality low light footage you will get.

It's all subjective though as there is no guidance as to what image quality is acceptable! A 2 lux camera from brand x doesn't have to equate to a 2 lux camera from another brand. The manufacturers basically decide what's an acceptable image quality.

I see the lower figure equates to the bigger price in this case ,i emailed the company and they standbye their specs .

Still not sure which of the two is best though but they both seem pretty indestructible unlike the glasses i tried !

Edited by chesters1

Have you looked at the Gopro hero? Their new entry level gopro?

Gopro are awesome cameras and not bulky, pays they have a huge amount of mounting solutions that could make interesting viewing for your metal detecting. Plus waterproof etc if you ever decide to take it fishing!

My brother and father have a couple of other brand cams and neither is a patch on my gopro!

Go pro is expensive and the sj4000 is better in some areas but even that is bulky i would look a right prat with either on my head ,the bullet ones in question need no plastic housing which makes them easier to mount

Seeing is i wont be using a helmet nor bike its a case of strapping one to my head out walking or on my headphones metal detecting..

Fat people cant chestmount properly theres gut in the way LOL

The sj4000 (not sure about the gopro) also doesnt have video antishake which is needed as i have a slight list and limp (only spotted it using my fuji in vid mode .

Must say either the sj4000 or 1000 are appealing but are bulky with the cases on and not so well equipt to mountbanywhere with them off

Chesters 1,

A Lux rating measures light intensity as perceived by the human eye. The Lux rating determines a camera's ability to capture an image under a variety of lighting conditions. For example, a candle that is located one foot from any object casts 1-foot-candle of illumination on it; this is equivalent to 10-Lux.

Color is 10 X10 better than black and white (IMO)

As best I understand your posts - you are mixing apples and oranges. Take a look at this GoPro site http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3-lux-ratings

Phone

Refusing to tell you could be like duracell refusing to tell you the capacity of their batteries ,5 times longer than what?lol

Perhaps its like our cctv cameras one can "see" down to 0.1 luxe the other .001 luxe ,it means one switches to black and white far sooner than the other ,looking via the front camera it still looks light outside (the .001 luxe) looking out of the window its near black ,the rear camera gave up long ago and switched its lights on ,so a low number is a good number in low light but on a bright day the picture maybe overbright or shadows darker ?

I wonder why go pro refuses to tell you ? Perhaps its not that good?

Seems ok from 1.4 to .84 in some specs but then in a camera 3 or 4 times what the sj4000 is should you expect it?

Edited by chesters1