Bite alarm help?

markp

I think I'll have a bash at long range brownie fishing with the bottle tops again. I used to feeder-fish my local ressie 20 years ago (OMG...that long?) with bottle tops and cotton reels/bankstick for monkey climbers....pretend I'm 14 again. I'm sure fishing was fun that long ago..lol

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading about a DIY almost Robinsonesque bite detector set up years ago, I think it was from Eel enthusiast John Sidley but dont quote me on that. A car hubcap is placed under the reel and a coin (a bob?) seated on the spool, when the run develops the coin drops with a clatter onto the metal and alerts the angler!

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

That's right Emma. That was the original bite alarm. I've done the washing-up bottle top, the coin on the spool, the cotton reel monkey-climber, the folded bit of foil and a jar for a wind break, a folded nail in a jar again, a kinder egg with a curtain hook. I think the only form of primitive bite alarm I didn't try as a youngster was tying the line round my big toe!

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Yep, I remember that well..I used pennies, but my poser mate used Half crowns :) It,s staggering the amount of noise that made when the coins hit the tin plate :) Way before monkey climbers.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

marvellous innovations, using items not intended for angling. Like hair curler feeders, I have experimented wit 35mm film containers and the little cases which contain the gloves in hair colour kits as block end feeders. But how about this, what in fishing would one use a cooking spatula for? (and I don't mean for flipping frying fish over).

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I remember reading about a DIY almost Robinsonesque bite detector set up years ago, I think it was from Eel enthusiast John Sidley but dont quote me on that. A car hubcap is placed under the reel and a coin (a bob?) seated on the spool, when the run develops the coin drops with a clatter onto the metal and alerts the angler!

a bob ! damn middle class angler mine was a penny :D

you can buy the bottle tops still ,in yellow with a cool isotope stuck in the base :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

a bob ! damn middle class angler mine was a penny :D

you can buy the bottle tops still ,in yellow with a cool isotope stuck in the base :D

Huh! you must have been loaded! I could'nt afford a reel with a spool big enough to sit a penny on, and we had to collect the clippings off other anglers knots and tie 'em together to get enough to cast out. ;)

Has anyone used or got Delkims, are they any good ? Is there a prefered model ? Just wondering as I've only ever had Fox. The problem with my Fox's is after a few hours of heavy rain they go on the blink which really jacks me off so I was thinking of having a dabble with one of the Delkim models.

after a few hours of heavy rain they go on the blink

Washing up liquid tops are waterproof!

Washing up liquid tops are waterproof!

Yeah and cheap but they don't give an alarm noise if you get a bite and are dozeing off. If I night fish normally I stay awake and just listen for the click of my baitrunners if I can't see the rods. If you bivvy up and want forty winks the alarms are handy as they save you reeling in your lines.