Cod crisis? What cod crisis?

Guest challenge

Guest challenge

post-9664-1159218180_thumb.jpgHave just returned from another 70 hour trip, we where working about 155 miles east of Whitby over the weekend and again it seams as if the people who keep telling us that money cannot bye you happiness (and plenty of cod) obviously don’t know where to shop.

Every wreck that we visited (about 5 per day) produced some of the best quality cod that I think I have ever seen.

The fish where of exceptional quality, well fed on small crabs and small fish.

There was one wreck where the fish was a little oily as the fish had been feeding on sprats.

11 anglers managed to catch (between them) a total of 80 stones of cod fillets.

there was not a fish below 5lbs caught the majority of fish was between 12 and 16 lbs with quite a few between 16lb and 20 lb with the best fish (again) going to graham Daniels (Walcott) it weighed in at 23lb cod. So to go with his 33lb cod off a trip a few months back ended a good year for him.

One wreck alone produced 65 stone of fish in about three hours fishing.

I have attached a small photo that I took on my mobile phone of a few of the fillets as I unloaded them out of the chiller this morning.

I know that Michel took the time out this morning to take a few shots of the fillets and the anglers and hopefully they will be produced on our web site as soon as she gets it sorted.

Well done graham and Carl and the rest of the lads that made this last long trip (70 hour plus) of the season a great way to end the season on.

We never fished in more than 18 metres of water every body working light gear. Fantastic sport and a great way of supplying your family with all the fish they are going to want till next year.

Bye the way we did not see a commercial fishing boat all trip, not until we got back to within five miles of Whitby and then there was only a couple fishing on the herring marks.

I asked the anglers on board there thoughts on catch and release; they said that they do that sort of thing when they go course fishing.

regards.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont often look on this forum as I very rarely go sea fishing any more (not counting Mullet).Saw this bold statement and thought I would have a quick peek hoping that I might have got it all wrong and the cod fishing off my local beachs hasnt been totally destroyed by the commercial netsmen.

Seems I have got it a bit wrong......it is certainly screwed but its not just the commercial boys but the "fishmongers" like you Challenge who dare to call your self anglers.Nowt wrong with killing any fish for the table no matter sea,game or coarse but there is no need to be either greedy or wastefull.No matter how its frozen it aint going to last and keep well for long enough to eat that lot? or do you and your mates sell your catch to pay for/subsidise your 7 day trips?

Ah well what buisness is it of mine I will go back to the coarse forum and just remember when sea fishing from the beach was worthwhile.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The method seems a tad irrelevant. The sheer amounts of fillets are beyond my families (and i include spreading them to friends and neighbours) consumption levels. Will a normal home freezer keep them for a year? You don't have blast freezing i presume so i can't believe those fillets can be frozen down for more than a month or two.

Yes Jaffa I thought you would know this . They will last for over a year they may get a bit of freezer burn if they are not wrapped correctly. I know that our family(4) would, have and do get through well over 10st in a year.

As for giving it away my experiance of that is they do not appreciate it even though it is worth about the same as sirloin steak.

I dont often look on this forum as I very rarely go sea fishing any more (not counting Mullet).Saw this bold statement and thought I would have a quick peek hoping that I might have got it all wrong and the cod fishing off my local beachs hasnt been totally destroyed by the commercial netsmen.

Seems I have got it a bit wrong......it is certainly screwed but its not just the commercial boys but the "fishmongers" like you Challenge who dare to call your self anglers.Nowt wrong with killing any fish for the table no matter sea,game or coarse but there is no need to be either greedy or wastefull.No matter how its frozen it aint going to last and keep well for long enough to eat that lot? or do you and your mates sell your catch to pay for/subsidise your 7 day trips?

Ah well what buisness is it of mine I will go back to the coarse forum and just remember when sea fishing from the beach was worthwhile.

Sounds to me your on a bit of a downer Budgie and gone off sea angling. Some of these guys will have had the best few days fishing in thier lives Big cod , light tackle , shallow water coupled with the whole experiance of travelling halfway across the sea.

What the hell do we go fishing for, its to catch fish right More Fish , Better , Bigger Fish, not "Thats a fine one for the pot me old hartys lets sail for home now skipper "

Each to their own Budgie glad you expressed your views cheer up mate.

dont be surprised when theres none there next time then??

Thurso cannot speak for your fishing but on our grounds this type of fishing is and has proved sustainable over many years .A pair team can get this sort of shot in one haul, shag the sea-bed and throw away the same again as discard.

Its a good catch and those involved should be getting a pat on the back . :)

I asked the anglers on board there thoughts on catch and release; they said that they do that sort of thing when they go course fishing.

regards.

If that statement wasn't so pathetic it would be quite funny.

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Great report challenge. Reminds me of the good old days in the Irish Sea before the commercials took the lot. Nice to see so many satisfied anglers who will no doubt book you again. Well done!

Edited by gannet

Safety habits last a lifetime.