Crimps for heavy wire

Ken L

I'm about to order some uncoated wire in the 100lb BS range. Obviously it will need to be crimped and I seem to have a choice of either standard (I'm not sure whether they are coloured steel or copper alloy) or alluminium for the crimps.

I'm sure that the jerkbait and heavy lure chuckers out there will have evaluated both options.

At the moment, I'm erring towards the alluminium but any comments or suggestions will be welcome.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken, if it is steel ones you want I'll have a look as I think I have some left over from a buy out!! But I would have thought the ali ones would be FAR superior due to the fact they will "MOULD" to the wire and give a better grip subsequently on it. I'll have a look anyway!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Ken, if it is steel ones you want I'll have a look as I think I have some left over from a buy out!! But I would have thought the ali ones would be FAR superior due to the fact they will "MOULD" to the wire and give a better grip subsequently on it. I'll have a look anyway!!

I won some alluminium sea fishing crimps online once (through an Anglersnet comp actually!) and I have found them very good for thick wire traces. You need a good strong set of pliers to squash them down though!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

As said, my gut instinct tells me that the ally is the way to go because I should get two or three distict pinches to hold the wire. Pliers arn't a problem but I am aware that there might be problems with daft stuff like bi-metal corosion (they'll be used in saltwater) and I wondered if anyone has done a bit of experimenting.

I probably have enough big Berkley sleeves to get me by for my forthcomming trip if the Ally isn't any good so I might just go with it and dig about in the cupboard if it comes up short.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I would think that the Ally will corrode very quickly, unless you wash them very carefully in fresh water asap after a trip.

Allowing them to dry out with salt on the ally will corrode them.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic