Eastern Europeans eating our fish

Squiffy

The reason most of europe, asia and indeed britain have this culture is because carp were introduced originally, even in the British Isles as a food fish.

Even the prized Koi carp evolved from this.

Abroad carp are still breed in farms for food so persons catching carp here are not aware it is a possible crime. However, many do and have now found a market for them as food as others have for stocking other fisheries.

Incidently the incident i observed was not carp but mainly small roach. I was out walking the dog and had no phone or contact numbers.

I think your best bet is to keep your permits handy and contact your club and/or the waters baliff. Some clubs have a policy where all members are actually baliffs so you could ring the police yourself. I also believe (not checked) that your rod licence has a contact number for reporting problems.

I suspect concern will only grow when large numbers are taken and you will only get action with numerous calls and publicity as we did locally with another much more sordid problem.

Overall the clubs the best bet as carp inparticulary are very expensive to replace especially if brought properly when screened for disease.

B.B. Whereas I agree with almost all of your very well made and articulate comments, I cannot accept the phrase "our black feathered friend" ( I presume you're referring to the Cormorant).

I think "pigmentally challenged" would be more appropriate. ;);)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Hello,

I just wanted to know what we are supposed to do if we see someone catching Carp/Pike etc and knocking them on the head, with a view to eating them (Eastern European style?)

Please, no silly "Punch his lights out" crap

I just wanted to know if the Police should be called, or the EA...If it is say, a public day ticket water?

Hasnt happened to me yet, but I wanted to know what the law is (I assume they wouldnt have a License!?)

thanks

I might be considered a little odd as I can't see any difference between someone taking a fish for the pot whilst fishing without a licence, regardless of any ethnicity issues, and someone with a licence who chooses to catch pike and then kills it and throws it up the bank.

To my mind both the above examples are of equal irresponsibility and carry the same weight and should carry the same penalties.

Some of our own indigenous white, here for thousands of generations anglers, are just as bad as some of those that they choose to villify

Because of the laws, and the local waters and what they allow, like someone said, is it a canal or river, where fish can be taken.

I asked a question on another thread of a similar subject. what can we do.

Because we seem to have trouble finding what is an offence and what is not.

I think we should get away from, who is taking what from what waters and what rivers and canals and get back to the basics.

the one thing we all have to have, is our EA ROD LICENSE. this is the only tool that we have to stop this, or get these people prosecuted. yes its hard to prove they have taken fish, on any given water.

The EA are under budget, and as another thread said a few weeks ago, we are never really checked these days.

The idea i have, is why we cant do what the police have done, and getting, what i call the blue hats, community police, ok they dont have the power of arrest, but are at hand to take info on people, question people and take notes, as well as call for back up, and im sure the police respond very quickly, when they call in. i know this first hand as i see it every day where i work.

so why cant the EA recruit us anglers as volunteers to act as baliffs, to check licenses on the waters we fish.

So instead of the official EA baliffs trying to get round waters, they can wait for calls from anglers as community baliffs, and respond more quickly. im sure these eastern europeans dont want to be caught breaking the law as they are here on visa's,

its just a thought, what do you all think.

regards

sean

woman want me, fish fear me