PIKE WEEKEND MEET

Martin Hurst

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Is the offer of lending me a Yak still on, I wont have mine until mid december ?

Just checked with the lady at the campsite and Row boats/punts are £12 per day+£4 fishing permit (PFD's can be arranged if you phone a couple of days before and request one)

Kayaks £6 launch fee + £4 permit

Rod licences are also available (online) by the day (£6.50 I believe)

Edited by paintfly

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Sounds like you are in for a good trip. I fished Llangorse for many years and have had pike upto 23lbs. There has been some good advice for the virgins amongst you, I will add a few things. When I starting piking I was advised to modify a set of wire cutters by putting 12" handles on them. I achieved this by crimping tube extensions onto the handles of a set of cutters using a vice. If you have the facilities welding or brazing would be even better. If you get a good pike your trace will be chewed and need replacing anyway so if the unhooking looked difficult in any way I simply cut the trebles in whatever way necessary to minimise time out of the water for the fish. Even with long forceps and barbless the fact that more than one arm of the treble may be hooked in can prove difficult in fish that have taken deadbaits deep before moving off. Secondly if you are at anchor and deadbaiting it can be difficult to stay in touch with your bait if you are swinging. For this reason I used to deadbait with a float. Ledger the deadbait and use a self cocking float as your indicator set just a few feet deeper than the depth of the water. I used to make self cockers by tightly wrapping plumbers solder around the polystyrene sea floats. The polystyrene is soft enough to allow the solder to "bite in" and stay in position. Lastly my most successful baits in Llangorse were always mini rainbrow trout we used to buy from the tackle shop closely followed by half mackerel (for some reason the tail half always outfished the heads).