an idea to stop fish being taken by eastern europeans

s_mac

I found this artical on a website so the problem is becoming more serious and some one is trying to do something.

http://www.carpuniverse.com/shared_pages/news.html

I was always under the impression that there was limits to the amount of fish anyone could take for use as livebait etc and for game fish for the table.

Apart from the odd occasion where people have ate pike i have never before known people to take other types of fish to eat. Lots of peoples comments claim they have taken fish to eat and i wondered if they are getting confused about what species of fish these people are taking. If a fish has an Adipose fin it is game and so a 'brace can be taken' for food if you have the correct liscense.

As far as i am aware even if a water is a free water, as on our town waters, you still need an EA liscense which means you have to abide by its byelaws.

On the point of "I really don't see how the ethnic background of a violator makes a great deal of difference" then no it does not. But if a problem is getting to a proportion as the above website surgests, then we should stop being afraid of being classed as racist and tackle the problem head on. Once it is sorted we can then deal with other issues. Also, if this a problem, as it clearly is, it has to be dealt with now instead of letting it grow and just becoming another excepted norm.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always under the impression that there was limits to the amount of fish anyone could take for use as livebait etc and for game fish for the table.

Apart from the odd occasion where people have ate pike i have never before known people to take other types of fish to eat. Lots of peoples comments claim they have taken fish to eat and i wondered if they are getting confused about what species of fish these people are taking. If a fish has an Adipose fin it is game and so a 'brace can be taken' for food if you have the correct liscense.

Anglers have always taken Pike, Perch, Zander, Grayling, Eels and Carp for food.

It is only relative recently that anglers in the UK have stopped taking fish Regularly for food.

I have eaten all of the above except Zander and they are all edible....some more that others.

Pike, Perch, Grayling and Eels are probably still the most taken fish by british anglers and if the club rules allow it (and many do) then those concerned are doing nothing wrong. A recent poll on here suggested that many UK anglers would still take fish to eat if they wanted to.

there is a racist theme to this type of thread which I find more distasteful than any freshwater fish.

I don't know how old you are or how long you have been angling, barbelbarmy, but not eating coarse fish as the norm is a relatively recent thing. If the tackle shop owner in the link, is sure about the motives of his customers then he should not serve them, but that would cut into his takings wouldn't it. As I have said this subject has been discussed at length. If you go to the forum page and type, "eating coarse fish" into the search box at the top right of the page, you will see a number of threads with differing views on the subject. I am not confused as to what eating coarse fish means, as you will see if you do the search.

Edit...I was posting at the same time as dogfish, so excuse the repetition of some of the post.

John

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Forget the accusations of racism or elitism or even "theft" the real crime with this whole subject is people criticising and condeming people for taking fish/ "breaking rules" when they them selves are clearly unaware of the rules!

You would have thought that the simple wish not to make an idiot of yourself would make sure you knew the facts before opening your mouth! Ah but then the facts dont really come into it when your just wog bashing or climbing on your high horse to make your self look better!

I keep asking why the EA dont publish the rules on your Rod Licence? others ask why they dont check more or patrol waters or why something isnt done about all these fish that are being taken for the pot.

Only two answers really,1) They dont care or 2) They dont think that any of these things represent a big enough problem to warrent throwing money at.

I just wish the EA instead of denying these isues would just tell us 1) or 2)?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I haven't actually read this thread properly, but do get a few like this brought to my attention.

I think that people involved need to be clear that this is a cultural difference, rather than a racial one. Often, culture is linked to race, I admit.

In the UK, we used to eat coarse fish as the norm. With a swelling population around the 60 million mark and no sustainable inland food fisheries, apart from trout farms, UK anglers soon realised that to take fish for the pot spelt the end of angling. Our culture changed - coarse fishing was for pleasure only, in the main. In fact, much of sea angling has gone the same way.

Newcomers to our country are unaware of this.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Exactly Elton

And it is still mostly a 'Voluntary' code. Also brought about by changing tastes and a general move away from a 'living off the land' culture.

Mostly club and EA rules still accomodate those who want to fish 'for the pot' occasionally.

If a club is well managed, they could sustain that ethos. They'd need BLOODY strict regulation, though. Imagine the effects of a 40lb pike or carp being taken for the pot, for example!

I doubt that the EA has the finances to do so, especially as it would have to cater for the possibilty that every licence holder reserved the right to remove fish.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

gudgeon at one time were very valuable and used as faux mother of pearl by our victorian ancestors ,i think the reason we dont eat many course fish nowadays is we really dont need to ,in even my past our kids were fed on anything we could get hold of ,fish ,game,pidgeons etc even accidentally killed farmers kids pet sheep one time ,why because times were hard and food expensive ,now basic foodstuffs are cheap so "natural" food is left to live its own lives ,i'm not saying i wouldnt eat it again but at the moment i can afford easily caught baked beans and sausages in a supermarket rather than creeping around someones field pinching their wildlife and its far easier to grab a pack of rolls and a pack of bacon than pinching corn and depriving pigs of one of their legs ,boiling it for hours and then cutting it up for a ham roll :D

Farnham AS forbids the taking of fish for any reason from their waters ,ok in my mind but they rent river stretches where they dont own the fish ,i wont try to explain it to the committee though its to difficult for them to understand so they can stay there for a while.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Elton

Point taken.....However, I was assuming a modicum of common sense from anglers although that may be misplaced :wallbash:

Chesters

Where I live people still do a lot of rabbit hunting/snaring...lot's of game birds to be bought (mostly legal). A lot of Trout taken. And I suspect a fair bit of poaching...by the locals more than 'Johnny Foreigner'.

I still remember the days when we used to harvest white crayfish (now protected, of course).

I would suggest that environmental changes, of all sorts, have damaged fisheries far more than any taking of fish for food (by whoever). The crayfish is a classic example.