Frozen lugworm - is there any point??

Adam S

Hello all

Elton , no problem but you will have to share the results :)

Chappers, I use 30% glycerol to cryopreserve my own worms (nematodes less than a millimetre long so no good for bait!) and had thought of that. But decided against it. might try it today.

The worms are a bit of a mixed bag, quite a few blow lug and some proper balck lug (they were dug from a number of sites.)

Thanks all for the input, when i thaw them in the summer ill post the results.

ADAM

[ 27. February 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Adam S ]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best bet is either gut or salt the true blacks and then freeze them.wrap them individualy mind

Sounds like you could be onto a good source of free emergency bait.

Only an idea with the glycerol might not work for larger onganisms but hey worth a try, you have the worms and the facilities...give it a go let us know the proof will be in the thawing.

Dont squeeze out all the blood!!!!!!

Gut Black Lug or Yellowtails but leave the blood inside.

Leave on newspaper for about 30 mins to soak up excess water, use kitchen roll to dry as well, freeze as fast as possible. When defrosted for fishing you have an excellent worm, quite firm with plenty fish attracting blood.

• 4 weeks later...

Adam S:

i should have known that, guess the old brain isnt working :D

anyway they are quick frozen at -80 , ill be getting some more tomorrow and ill snap freeze that lot and see if there is any difference

cheers

ADAM

-80 should be plenty low enough if we are talking Celcius. -80 is bloody cold. I have been up over the North Cape and into Murmansk mid-winter. It gets down to about -38C up there at that time of the year. I've felt wind chill down to around -55 or so there, but -80 is well cold my man.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sorry Adam.

My little peice might be too late.

Black lug, squeezed free of juices and wrapped individually in newspaper will last for up to a week in a household fridge? My fridge has been relegated to my tool shed!! I think the wrapping in paper is the best effect?

When extracted from the paper and used as bait. The worms stay on the hook rehydrating in salt water. Flat fish seem to love them.

I`ve witnessed other lugworms being threaded on baiting needles and `deep` frozen, but with worse results.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I really am the laziest angler on earth....

My lug are wrapped in paper. After each trip, the whole cool bag is placed in the bait freezer, complete with squid, mackerel and worms. I take the whole thing out when I next go fishing.

I have a theory - most sea fish are scavengers, not predators

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton.

I have another theory. Most successful anglers do not rely on having the latest rod and reel.

Davy Holt will attest, that yesterdays coalie is the best bait!

Maybe us lazy anglers don`t enter enough comps to get famous?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Ive had plenty of sucess freezing blow lug, no black in these ere parts as far as I know! But I made up traces put 2 or 3 on a hook wrapped them in foil and put them in the freezer, that way when you cast out the lug slowly thaws releasing its yummy contents to the fish and stays on however you cast!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com