Frozen lugworm - is there any point??

Adam S

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all

I work in a biology lab and today the left overs of an undergraduate practical were being thrown out, namely about 150 good quality lugworm.

Rather than let them go to waste i wrapped them in damp news paper and popped them in the -30 degrees freezer. Now i know that they will go a bit mushy when thawed and that they wont be quality, but rather than waste the whole lot i was wondering if i can put them to any use at all,as i wont be able to use them within the next couple of weeks.

Maybe as an emergency bait or in groundbait for wrasse or mullet? I dont expect them to compare to fresh bait , but do they have any uses? Has anyone used similar.

any input appreciated

ADAM

Hi new to this but here we go.Some years ago a young chinese girl showed me how to prep black lug it was as follows....firstly roll them one at a time in newspaper until their innards come out,remove the innards then dust with salt,put them on fresh newspaper and roll to pack DO NOT ADD SAWDUST,pack enough for a trip out 10-12 then freeze.

This methad gives you a worm with skin like leather but still having enough juices to attract some lovely fish.I have actually taken a pack out of the freezer 2 days before they were needed,they were sticky but still very good.Now ive told you my secret you just have to find some live not frozen which seems almost impossible in s.wales and the frozen stuff is crap.

If they were true black lug, the squeezing out idea works.

But, if they were the more common blow lug, it doesn,t.

Trust me, I tried it.

Ditto,

And I would rather not use Salted or frozen at all given the chioce, On the other hand there are plenty of poeple who would use nothing else,

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Hi welshwizard welcome...... I dont know about you guys but i normaly buy my lug fresh then put them on traces ready then freeze them, also ive been getting lugg from a guy on ebay the price and quality has been very good..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015

Tony,

How many worms do you get in 2lb?

Last time I went digging with a mate on here, we bumped into a commercial digger. It's worth being friendly to them, as the shops don't pay them a great deal ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've been blown off my beach all week and since my codling forays have come to an end for the season, I've just driven two miles to put 150 'fridged' large blow lug back (still healthy looking) into the bait beds where I dug them.

Anyone else go to this trouble when they have bait left over?

B)

Guest sandpipper

Elton,

To be honest ive never counted them but i did weigh them against a bag of suger and the worms were closer to 2 1/2lbs, and i only take half the pack with me per trip and it last me. It works out that what i pay the guy on ebay is half the price i pay in my local takle shop, as for the commercial digger ask him for his number next time you see him as the shops will turn away the worms they think they cannot sell so he will keep them at home and you can always go to his house when the shops are shut or the tide is in.

H.A.

You have hit on something i love doing most of all ragworm, after a fishing trip is watch them swim away its the same satisfaction as releasing a good bass, i sometimes wonder if they ever make it to the sea bed and live.

Hiya, ..We were boat fishing on Loch Etive yesterday, with Guyfulla, Shaun, and Peterthefisherman, Now, the last trip we had a few weeks ago, there were loads of Lug left, so Guy took them home, and salted them down....(Clever lad ), and they were used yesterday...the Whiting loved them...:):) as did the Coalies, Pout, Poor Cod, Cod, and Gurnard.....

They didnt outfish the Bluey and Mackeral cocktails tho'...:):rolleyes::) they took Spurs,Thornies,LSD,and Pollock..as well as the species the Salted Lug took.... :D

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi welshwizard welcome...... I dont know about you guys but i normaly buy my lug fresh then put them on traces ready then freeze them, also ive been getting lugg from a guy on ebay the price and quality has been very good..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015

I use Les as well and the bait is top quality and he provides an excellant service.

I did re wrap the last lot of blacks from him cant remember quite how many there were, about 80 I think