Frozen lugworm - is there any point??

Adam S

hi

the frozen gutted lug worked quite well, plenty of wrasse,gurnard and flatties liked them.

however i have been having better results with liquid preserved/refrigerated worms, kind of on the same track lazy baits are on.

i have found that using a mix of 65-70% ethanol, 5% glycerol, 1% nacl and water (so for 100ml, 65-70ml ethanol, 5ml glycerol, 1g nacl, topped up to 100ml with distilled water) has preserved both rag and lug (the rag seem to do better, slightly, then the lug so am still refining the lug mix) excellently over months. its also possible that the mix acts as an emulsifier for certain biomolecules in the worms and this helps their efficacy, allowing scent triggers to seep into the water.

i have found the alcohol helps prevent, pretty much totally, any bacterial degredation but i have found refrigeration helps long term storage, maybe by preveting any sort of heat associated protein degredation or maybe preventing membrane damage, not sure yet

so far have had (either on their own or in cockail with suid, sandeel or mack, ballans to over 5lbs,all the mini wrasse, pollock, dabs,flounder,plaice, two bass, dogs, whiting, pouting and gurnard. they seem to compare pretty well (not quite on par) with fresh worms

the worms dont need to be preconditioned just dropped straight in so all the natural juices are retained

they will never replace fresh for me but they are a handy way to long term store leftovers, from times when worms are in plenty

{November 2008 Editor's Note - to buy lugworm online, please click here}

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic