Finally got to use my new scales!

Anderoo

I finally had cause to use my new digi scales yesterday. Goosequill took me to a little river where he's found some awesome perch fishing (thanks again mate!) - it really is tiny, little more than a rodlength across in places and very shallow. He's had some bloody great fish there, and it's the only place I've fished where I know I've got a very good chance of beating my Wingham pb - possibly by quite a margin!

I tried a few swims throughout the afternoon with both floatfished and freelined/light link legered lobs with only a few little roach to show for it (how do they manage to gobble a whole lob and a size 6 hook?). An hour before dusk I settled into a 'hotspot' where there's a little gap between some reeds, and dropped a bait into the gap. A few minutes later I had a lovely positive bite and struck into a powerful fish which ran upstream and then did its best to bury itself in the reeds and weed under my feet - I just about managed to keep it out and Goosequill netted it for me. On the scales it went 2lb 15oz, and with a belly it would be a good 3lber. A couple of snaps later I slipped it back, only to see a big boil come up by the far bank...so I dropped another worm on the spot and had another bite straight away! This one felt big too, but after a couple of strong runs it came off. Ah well!

I'm really excited about this place. To catch such big fish from somewhere so tiny and wild is a real joy. And it's great to be able to get an quick and accurate weight!

I'm in a good mood all week now. :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well done mate, don't you just love these little waters, and the surprises that they can produce.

Any pics?

P.S. It'll stop you from getting too excited about the Test for a while :P;)

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Well done mate, don't you just love these little waters, and the surprises that they can produce.

Any pics?

P.S. It'll stop you from getting too excited about the Test for a while :P;)

It's amazing what lurks in the most unlikely of places isn't it? It had made me forget about the Test - but now you've gone and reminded me again! :)

I don't have any pics but there are a few on Goosequill's camera - I'll have to get copies.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm no perch guru Jigotai - Goosequill drove me there, gave me the bait, told me where to sit and where to cast! :lol:

I do love a big perch though.

I'm no perch guru Jigotai - Goosequill drove me there, gave me the bait, told me where to sit and where to cast! :lol:

I do love a big perch though.

Goosequill sounds a top bloke, I believe we'll be seeing him at Timsbury.

Goosequill sounds a top bloke, I believe we'll be seeing him at Timsbury.

Yes, he's coming along - hoping for a big roach I believe.