Polls,polls,polls

Rich - since you started the polls, it is certainly reasonable for you to be able to have them closed. I'll do that for you but not delete them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Here in Southampton we have a pretty large community of Eastern Europeans, maybe the largest in the country,

have you visted london recently?

I'm only quoting the governments own stats. Per capita Southampton has more Poles per capita than any other town or city. I am not moaning me, they're are loads of them round here and as far as I am concerned they are welcome.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I agree Brian, I mean come on, lets talk about the real issues in fishing!!! not mediocre things like immigrants eating our fish!!!

Mediocre things like immigrants eating fish is dead right.

I think you need to get a deep breath of reality and look at how important that issue really is in the grand scale of things. Water abstraction, poor water quality, introduction of alien species, transfer of disease and eradication of alien crays all warrant a higher profile than the eating of coarse fish.

As a predator angler I dare say that you kill more coarse fish for baits in a season than the average immigrant takes to eat, I know I do and am comfortable in that fact and therefore won't condemm anyone based on whatever kind of predujice that is used as a basis for argument

Hi Brian,

Sorry about the onslaught! I honestly just wanted to get a snap shot of opinions and what people had actually seen without all the silly bickering that has gone before (I'm probably as guilty of that than anyone else). A lot of people have voted and so far there has be no name calling etc so I'm kinda pleased as I was genuinely interested in the answer.

Sorry if it’s boring and irritating, if the mods can/want to delete the polls I started please do as they have probably run their course now.

One last sorry if I've upset/**** anyone off,

Rich

No problem Rich

Like yourself I find some of the arguments on this issue threadbare in substance and a thinly disguised attack on different races based on some preconcieved threat that I don't think is very significant.

As I've stated above the average predator angler will kill and use more fish in a season than an average immigrant will eat in a year so who's the worst offender and why do some folk seem to be able to apportion blame to others whilst relieving themselves of any personal responsibility

What is it at the moment, is there a sudden rush of testosterone or is there something in the water that makes normally sane members rush round and puff their chests out to outdo each other in psuedo manliness?

I cant be the only one turned off by the sudden rush of pointless and meaningless polls and counter polls and the diatribe that now seems to permiate every thread under the guise of "immigrants/ate/stole/poached/fished my waters

Can't those that want to run such issues do so on the non fishing chat section and leave those that go fishing and want to discuss real fishing issues to enjoy the site as it used to be

Whoops, it's turned into another one!

I agree Brian. For some reason this issue is going through a bird flu/sars-type (remember those?) sensation at the moment. I expect it'll fade away of it's own accord.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes as a predator angler I do use coarse baits, purchased with my hard earnt money from Nev ficklings shop at a very reasonable price. I presume tho these fish are farmed or the market?

I do concede that this issue simply doesnt warrant the attention its recieving, especially as some view it as a means to "push other agendas", well cormerants had a fair crack at our stocks and they where shot, but its racist to condemn immigrants eating all our fish? Your absoultey right brian, there are so many more important issues such as alien spp, carp herpes, litter on the banks etc etc.

When the effects of the pilfering come to light over the next decade, il remember how the issue was brushed aside with folk saying, its all lies, its blown out of proportion etc, il also remember those that dared admitt the scale of the problem such as dave coster (see anglers mail article!).

Yes as a predator angler I do use coarse baits, purchased with my hard earnt money from Nev ficklings shop at a very reasonable price. I presume tho these fish are farmed or the market?

I do concede that this issue simply doesnt warrant the attention its recieving, especially as some view it as a means to "push other agendas", well cormerants had a fair crack at our stocks and they where shot, but its racist to condemn immigrants eating all our fish? Your absoultey right brian, there are so many more important issues such as alien spp, carp herpes, litter on the banks etc etc.

When the effects of the pilfering come to light over the next decade, il remember how the issue was brushed aside with folk saying, its all lies, its blown out of proportion etc, il also remember those that dared admitt the scale of the problem such as dave coster (see anglers mail article!).

zedhead, when you use phrases like

immigrants eating all our fish
, what do you expect? I well remember the out cry in the angling press when zander were going to eat all our fish. It didn't and couldn't happen, there was a reduction in some areas, but the balance was restored.

I haven't read the Dave Coster article in AM, it seems that there's one in AT as well. I might just have to break a promise to myself and buy the two papers and see what they have to say. :(

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

zedhead, when you use phrases like , what do you expect? I well remember the out cry in the angling press when zander were going to eat all our fish. It didn't and couldn't happen, there was a reduction in some areas, but the balance was restored.

I haven't read the Dave Coster article in AM, it seems that there's one in AT as well. I might just have to break a promise to myself and buy the two papers and see what they have to say. :(

I remember them stories about the zander. I must admit I have a 'down' on all introduced species, from Zander on the Fens to Cane Frogs in Queensland, but the zander were not quite the environmental disaster all the mags predicted. Best idea is not to buy magazines and newspapers, there just comics for adults. I have not bought an angling magazine or paper for nearly 30 years, I don't think the fish can tell :)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote