help needed buying a carp bivvy please

s_mac

I looking to buy a carp bivvy, pref a two man one. there are so many out there that im a bit lost in which is really a decent one, im looking to spend around £100. can anyone give me some good advice.

thanks.

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Hi,

I'm sure that you're going to get a lot of advice here but for 'short' sessions of a maximum of a couple of pleasant weather days I use the Shakespeare Big Easy 2 man bivvy. About £130 new.

It's light, will fit into a holdall/quiver.

It's a pram hood style and can be put up in a couple of minutes.

For rougher weather I use a PowerPlus Pro Bivvy. About £100 second hand.

It's very heavy and needs a barrow to transport. It takes about 20 mins to put up but once up it'll will withstand a direct hit from a medium sized tactical nuke!

Best of luck.

Comus

For that money I would have a look at small 2 man tents.

You will probably find one in a reasonable colour and it will be far better quality than an equivalently priced bivvy.

Most bivvies are actually made by the tent comapanies anyway (Relum used to make Hutchy's bivvies) except the tackle 'manufacturers just add a hefty whack on the price and advertise them widely.

How much room do you need? Would this be enough?

i514952sn01.jpg

Or do you want to go a little larger?

i514953sn01.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

As Dogfish said tents will often give you better value for money than bivvies. However tents often have poor visibility and may not be as quick to get out of to hit a take.

One point that I will make if you do choose a tent. Don't go for what camping firms call a 2 man tent. This is fine for a pair of backpackers with sleeping mats and the minimum of gear. However it's not going to be big enough for a bedchair and a load of tackle.

Yer pays yer money and makes yer choice....mine being a bivvie though.

Factors to think off include:

How long does it take and how easy is it to set up and dismantle? If it's hissing down this can be pretty important!

Will the inner get wet if you're setting up in the rain (a problem with many tents and a few bivvies)?

Is there an inner in fact? This reduces condensation but increases weight.

How heavy is it? Is it an easy shape to transport?

How roomy is it?

How much visibility does it give so that you can watch the water or your indicators? Windows are useful here.

How quick and easy is it to get out of in a hurry?

How mossie proof is it?

How cool is it in the summer (most bivvies get really hot then!)? How warm is it in the winter?

How does it stand up to strong winds?

Unfortunately no bivvie is perfect in every respect and you therefore have make compromises. Much will depend on your priorities, and so the best bivvy for me may not be the best for you. However the above questions should give you an idea of what to consider.

In case you make a mistake it may be a good idea to buy a secondhand bivvie. At least then you can sell it and get your money back.

Finally, when you buy your first bivvie do have a trial run setting it up in the garden. The time spent will be more than saved on the bankside and won't cut into your fishing trip.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

How much room do you need? Would this be enough?

i514952sn01.jpg

Or do you want to go a little larger?

i514953sn01.jpg

Thanks newt lol. dont have sky or cable, not planning to take the computer, got some nice camping pans and kettle, so dont need the kictchen sink. lol.

have found one now guys, got a pm off one of the members, got myself sorted now, thanks to all who gave good advice. and thanks to newt for his advice.

made me laugh newt, like your taser gun. god im still laughing at that one.. anyone who has not read that post by newt, go have a look. on non fishing chat, its the best ive heard.

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Glad you found something suitable Sean and glad you enjoyed the tents & the taser (one of my favorites too).

Steve - you could exit either of the above tents pretty quickly I think.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I use an "igloo" type tent that I got off a mate for £20, big spender. If I'm night fishing as opposed to "camping" then I leave out the inner tent and it becomes surprisingly big inside, at least as big as a normal bivvy. As said, the main problem is getting in and out through a single zip opening, because it tends to flap down on you and you get covered in condensation or rain. It suits me though because these days I can't often be bothered actually fishing at night and just use it as a way of being on the bank ready at first light without having to get up at stupid times! I'd say either get a bivvy or find a tent with a proper roll up door.

For that money I would have a look at small 2 man tents.

You will probably find one in a reasonable colour and it will be far better quality than an equivalently priced bivvy.

Most bivvies are actually made by the tent comapanies anyway (Relum used to make Hutchy's bivvies) except the tackle 'manufacturers just add a hefty whack on the price and advertise them widely.

Outbound or someone make the 'Cypry' I have my 2nd one now. Loads of room in the new ones for the big bed chairs and a decent size porch with large see through plastic windows, you can even get them in the 'real tree' colours.

A lot of the tent makers are doing plain green so a normal 2 skin tent, as others have said, would be fine.

That is the only thing I would strongly advise is that it is 2 skin to avoid condensation.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!