Indicators

Norfolkdan

As for the zander, depends on where your fishing really, why not use drop off's? Im sure theres some ultra cult carper who could advise you if the nash ball buster? looks well on a pod with matching alarms, rods reels and of course swingers/hangers/danglers etc.

bobbins will work for zander,drop off indicators are better,can be fished on an open bail arm thus less resistance.

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I too use drop-off indicators when predator fishing with fish baits. This is because when fished in conjunction with an open bail arm there's minimal change of resistance on getting a run. This isn't the case when using a free spool system like a Baitrunner, and the change in resistance will often cause species like zander and perch to drop the bait. You don't have this option when using a bobbin, and so bobbins aren't the best choice for most zander fishing..

In fact, I use drop-off indicators for most carp fishing as well as I reckon them superior to bobbins whenever I'm expecting runs.

My drop-off indicators of choice are the Fox Pike Swingers that, importantly, have a sliding adjustable weight to keep the line at the right tension whatever the amount of undertow or current. However I've changed the line clips to Gardner ones. Having said that the latest version of the Pike Swinger is supposed to feature an improved line clip (I can't comment as I've never used it), and is also cheaper. See my review at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Tackle-And-Bai...ke_swinger.html

When expecting shorter pulls, as when fishing smaller baits without a bolt rig, I prefer a bobbin and, despite being as ham-fisted as they come I make my own. Just buy a Gardner line clip to which you attach about 60 cms (2 feet) of stiff line. The other end you tie to your bankstick or attach it with a Terry Clip (just a few pence from any DIY or hardware store).

A refinement is to thread a short length of bright tubing on the line (I use catapult elastic) and attach it to the Gardner line clip to increase visibility. If you put a betalight in this tubing it's great for night fishing too.

Whatever bobbin you use, you can then pinch split shot on the line to balance any undertow and to keep the line tight so that small pulls are easily seen. Importantly this will also enable "drop back" bites to be shown. In very windy conditions I rest the bottom shot on the ground to stop the bobbin flapping around.

However, as I mentioned, bobbins are not usually the best option for zander fishing, where a drop-off indicator is a better bet.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

i have the fox drop offs,the ones with the better metal ball clip,and sliding weight.

i have used them for pike,zeds and perch and cats,they work perfectly.

highly recomended!

AKA RATTY

Until recently I always used the 'usual' drop-offs for pike and zander (the ones with the big red ball at the end) but last year I tried using a bobbin on a short (light) chain attached to the back bank stick, used in the same way as a drop-off, i.e. under the reel with an open bailarm. I really like this now for a few reasons: (1) I'm always treading on the red plastic balls on drop-offs and crushing them; (2) the bobbins have extra screw-in weights so are great for drop-backs/undertow/wind/flow; (3) the line clip is better and offers less resistence; (4) they can take an isotope/starlight for low light conditions; (5) the flexible chain offers more freedom than a stiff boom, so the line is less likely to blow out of the clip, and drop-backs seem to show better.

So, 1 vote for a bobbin fished the wrong way round :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

the fox swingers do all that anderoo,

they are not easy to crush mate the head is rugby ball shaped and solid,the clip is pretty much a solar ball clip nad by turning it you can adjust it for differeing line diameters,the sliding wieght is as it sounds adjustable,mine have istopes glued in to the provided slot.

when you get a take it pulls straight out of the clip and can take line off an open bail arm at will,so the stiff arm doesnt really come into it,it either ges up and pulls out of teh clip or it drops back.

its what suits you really, but i dont think you can beat drop offs :)

AKA RATTY

the fox swingers do all that anderoo,

they are not easy to crush mate the head is rugby ball shaped and solid,the clip is pretty much a solar ball clip nad by turning it you can adjust it for differeing line diameters,the sliding wieght is as it sounds adjustable,mine have istopes glued in to the provided slot.

when you get a take it pulls straight out of the clip and can take line off an open bail arm at will,so the stiff arm doesnt really come into it,it either ges up and pulls out of teh clip or it drops back.

its what suits you really, but i dont think you can beat drop offs :)

The Fox ones sound pretty good. Being a cheapskate I forgot the best benefit of mine - about a quid from ebay!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm with Russell on this one, Anderoo.

Mind you, if you were using the type of drop-off indicator I started with I can see why you swapped though! The awful line clip wasn't adjustable and there wasn't a sliding weight. All in all pretty naff!

On my Fox Pike Swinger the sliding weight is infinitely adjustable so that you can balance the indicator precisely to suit flow on running water or undertow on a lake. By doing so you minimise resistance - often very important for perch and zander. Additionally though you increase sensitivity and thus safety. For this reason alone I'd never again use a drop-off indicator without this facility, and a lot of friends of mine feel the same way.

Your system would undoubtedly be better than my first drop-off indicator. However, I find the Fox Pike Swinger better still and totally foolproof. The line never gets pulled out by wind, and it shows dropbacks beautifully.

BTW, the ball on mine is oval in shape and made from foam so it's easy to insert an isotope into it.

For anyone wanting to see a picture of or to buy the Mark II Fox Pike Swinger go to http://www.fishing-direct.com/product.php?...t=25&page=1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net