Circle Hooks

Elton

My local Daiwa dealer (Western Tackle) sells the Gamakatsu Octopus 8/0 circles. The size is quite misleading as a 5/0 Big Mouth has a bigger gape, I would say that they're 2 sizes smaller than they're marked if you know what I mean. The wire is 8/0 kind of thickness though.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My local Daiwa dealer (Western Tackle) sells the Gamakatsu Octopus 8/0 circles. The size is quite misleading as a 5/0 Big Mouth has a bigger gape, I would say that they're 2 sizes smaller than they're marked if you know what I mean. The wire is 8/0 kind of thickness though.

Wire thickness is one of the issues that I have with Circles, they seem to all be so thick and heavy? Its one of the reasons why I am looking at the 'VMC Octopus' hooks, the wire 'Perma Steal' is not so thick, I think it is an 'alloy'? certainly hook for hook they feel lighter than their counterparts?

Very frustrating, having all these semi and circle hooks on board and not having had the chance to try them this year :wallbash: Thanks for the post Torag, as you have probably picked up I'm a fan of Big Mouths. They do a standard wire range up to 5/0. From 6/0's they go onto a thicker wire. Compared the 5/0 and 6/0's, the actual gap difference is a few thou' so this year I will tend to go for the lighter wired 5/0's on cod etc., and keep the bigger, thicker sizes for tope, etc.

Still leaves me with some very substantial Circles to try, I think I have up to 10/0!!

Cliff

Edited by CJS2

• 5 years later...