Chub fever waning

Anderoo

i spent the best part of near 6 years specifically fishing for chub trying every method & trick in the book determined to get a 6lber ,which I eventually got but by the end my passion for them had wayned it was only my stubbornness for getting a 6lb fish that kept me trying (I wasn't going to let those pesky chevin beat me) I would seek out places far from the maddening crowd ,parts of the river derwent that hadn't seen a angler for many a age .I was really glad when I caught my big fish ,I remembered a classic angling quote "i'd be glad when I've had enough of this" or something along those lines .sometimes you know when enough is enough and its time too move on to something else .For me I switched to barbel as my main target and ironically had caught more chub over 6lbs in my quest to break the 12lb barrier and like the chub before them the barbell was losing my interest ,I did on my last all weekend/might barbel trip get my 12lb + barbel and a 6.lbs 16oz chub (on a barbel bait) it was a nice fish that balanced the scales dead on the 7lbs mark ,which I decided didn't qualify as a 7lbs fish (I erred on the side of caution and allowed for scale indifferences etc) ,I still look forwards to breaking the 7lbs barrier but I would'nt specifficaly target chub too do it .

I do belong too a few facebook groups (including a chub one) and chub do seem to becoming popular once more ,which sort of puts me off chub fishing a bit ,who wants too be one of a number when you can be one of a kind ,i'm back to just fishing for whatever comes along ,my current angling obsession is cane & traditional tackle ,i'm from the glassfibre & carbon era's and never used cane rods etc ,so its all new too me ,learning the feel of the rods and how thay behave when playing a fish etc learning the limits (which I take for granted with carbon rods) & how far I can push them before I break one.

we as anglers don't give up on obsessions we just outgrow them & swap them for new ones.

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Went out last night to a spot I had baited in the day missed the first bite maybe 15secs in :wallbash: then pricked/bumped one which killed the swim for a while lost a lump to a snag on my left[downstream] which I saw gutted then had a 4/12 so came home happy in the end not just the fish but the boots worked superbly toasty feet came home coz I wanted to not due to cold

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Glad you like the boots Steve, good aren't they. Shame about the lost fish, a couple of years ago I stepped up my gear for the Thames chub after losing a few to near-bank snags and am happy to say that every one I've hooked since then has ended up in the net. Well done for catching as well though :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderro the boots are superb thanks for the recommendation ,more a case with the lost one of bending down for net and giving it a window to head for the snag only half a second but that was enough...,,.still looking for one of those rods but sadly so is everyone else

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

One went for just £165 recently (plus £15 postage), cheapest one I've ever seen!

I lost an enormous Thames perch several years ago like that and it still haunts me. It was laying on the surface waiting for the net, I turn around to grab it and lose concentration for a second, next moment it's wedged fast in some rocks...hooklength goes and that was that. A hard lesson to learn...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Going back to get wet tonight once the frozen pastry mix defrosts and I can make up some fresh paste ,Matt had four chances to equalise last night on the Loddon and blew them all....thatl be that getting old and reaction thing methinks :wheelchair: ..,,..bugger missed that one need to check e bay more often

Oddly I keep waiting for the Chub fever to bite, I live in East London and have various club tickets over the years for sections of the Lea including Fishers Green. I even had a ticket for 3 years for Carthegena but I have never ben able to rustle up the get up and go to seriously fish for them. I have always been side tracked by the Pike and Perch and the hard work of targeting the Zander.

If the Chub fever ever hits I live in the right area but I like catching Chub when I go Chub fishing and even though I put a lot of effort in to other species the ratio of sessions on the Lea to banked Chub puts me off.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales,

Don't leave it to long, the Big Chub are getting harder and harder to find, 8 trips now for two/three anglers and only one run.

It's two years to the day that I caught that monster and the last time I saw my mate on the bank of a river.

These fish can't last forever ?

Bob

• Like 1