Under 12's record carp

spacetench

I just wanted to know if I hold the record for a Carp. I caught it from a lake which is now a syndicate but back in 1987 it was a free for all. The fish weighed 42lbs 3oz. At the time I had just turned 10. Now at the time I wasn't sure what the record was. Can anyone fill me in. Did any other youngsters then catch that size of carp? I'll try to find the photo and get it posted.

I just wanted to know if I hold the record for a Carp. I caught it from a lake which is now a syndicate but back in 1987 it was a free for all. The fish weighed 42lbs 3oz. At the time I had just turned 10. Now at the time I wasn't sure what the record was. Can anyone fill me in. Did any other youngsters then catch that size of carp? I'll try to find the photo and get it posted.

I don't think there are any official age related records. That's a huge fish for back in 87.

Paul Singleton

Yep indeed I do. Started fishing again about 2 years ago. Still to beat my best but getting closer. Strange how carp angling has changed since then. Some days I go fishing full on techno style with my 3 rods, 3 days in bivvied up. Other times if I find the right water I'll take me old cane rod and centre pin. I guess a strange thing is that I haVE started fishing for other species as well, like I did when I was a nipper. Went to my local river today (The Ise) fishing for chub and perch. Walton style. This little stretch is full of nice chub and the odd big perch. But I'm still after "that carp". I have found a couple of secret lakes that no one seems to fish in the middle of nowhere. They must be years old with an old stock of carp in. Big commons although if you were to see them they look like wildies. Torpedoes that put up a hell of a fight. I love to fish lakes that have not been fished in a while. The voyage of discovery hey? Love the forum. Happy fishing.

ST

Thats an interesting reply ST.Ive known other people who have caught outragousely big fish early in their fishing career and struggled to keep an interest in the sport.They often give up after a few years having "peaked" so to speak or carry on but turn their attention to other species/types of fishing. Having caught such a huge fish so early must surely detract from the capture of smaller allbeit still good specimens?

Glad to see youve got your head around it! Im pretty sure in saying that at the time it would have most definately been the biggest carp caught ever by some one of that age.Was you fishing alone (so to speak) or under the wing of some one more experienced?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thats an interesting reply ST.Ive known other people who have caught outragousely big fish early in their fishing career and struggled to keep an interest in the sport.They often give up after a few years having "peaked" so to speak or carry on but turn their attention to other species/types of fishing. Having caught such a huge fish so early must surely detract from the capture of smaller allbeit still good specimens?

Glad to see youve got your head around it! Im pretty sure in saying that at the time it would have most definately been the biggest carp caught ever by some one of that age.Was you fishing alone (so to speak) or under the wing of some one more experienced?

I was fishing with my fishing buddies. I think the oldest was about 14. The funny thing is we fished this lake for a few years. And we knew it wasn't easy. I think the biggest fish I had caught up until that time was an upper double. We knew the lake had monsters in, had seen them and had tried to tempt them off the surface with bread or a doggy. But to no avail. If I remember I caught it mid-november. I named it Charlie. The strange thing is that it was a bit of a pussy cat. Only took about ten minutes to bring in on a home made blackberry boilie blahdy blah....

I love fishing. I love the challenge. I love fishing lakes that no one knows about. The ones with unknown monsters in. The lake I fished when I fished as a kid now charges about 2 grand a year to fish. I've seen pictures of "big name carp anglers" holding that wonderful fish. But I know for a cert I broke it's cherry. I'd rather catch a big double or twenty that no one has ever caught before then ever catch a forty plus again. It is more exciting, the discovery of one of these beauties. I guess that is the true sprirt of carping. Although I would never say no to a fifty. Just to match Yatesy!!! Last year I caught a 5lb on the dot Perch from a river. That was more exciting and that so far is the fish of my life. Strange eh? God I'm gonna go gaga like Byron soon!!!

Nice words :)

In answer to your original question, you can't hold a record unless you claim it, I'd have thought.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE