Fairlop Water - Barkingside

FishyFraser

I'm from Hainault, although I haven't lived there for years, but when I was there I never heard of anyone fishing Fairlop Waters. How long has it been fished? (We used to go sailing there when I was at school!)

The lake up at Hainault Forest used to be pretty decent. It also used to be free fishing, although I've got a vague memory of someone telling me it's now day ticket.

If I was still living down there, I must admit I'd be more than likely looking out into Essex for some fishing. There's a list of Essex clubs at www.fishsoutheast.co.uk/clubsessex, many of which look like they have some very nice waters. Every now and then I wonder about joining one just for when I'm down visiting my mum!

Hi Fishy, welcome to AN.

I had a wander over to Fairlop Waters last year and had a look around, didn't see much apart from a couple of kids. I usually head out to Essex or around Waltham Abbey for my fishing. Lake John's good, Holyfield as well, Willowside Carp Lakes is good for runs, lots of 5-10 lb carp in there and plenty of small stuff too.

Edited by jedibond

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Hi Fishy, welcome to AN.

I had a wander over to Fairlop Waters last year and had a look around, didn't see much apart from a couple of kids. I usually head out to Essex or around Waltham Abbey for my fishing. Lake John's good, Holyfield as well, Willowside Carp Lakes is good for runs, lots of 5-10 lb carp in there and plenty of small stuff too.

Cheers, thanks for that. I'm in Chingford by the way; just up the road. What's the reservoirs like just past Blackhorse road? I've been thikikng of going there but they look like large expanses of water for me and my boy with a pair of float rods!

FF.

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

If you are in Chingford have you tried any of the ponds in Epping Forest? Is your ten year old an experienced angler or just starting? If he's just starting then take him to Wake Valley Pond. There's loads of small roach that'll keep a ten year old interested better than blanking on a great big lake.

Off the A104.

Best swim IMO is opposite the road as you look at the pond.

more towards south Essex, but the match lake at the warren would be a great place to take a youngster - it's stuffed full of perch and silvers, s well as some very nice bream and tench for dad :)

Is there such thing as a nice bream???

Mat

Mat

If you are in Chingford have you tried any of the ponds in Epping Forest? Is your ten year old an experienced angler or just starting? If he's just starting then take him to Wake Valley Pond. There's loads of small roach that'll keep a ten year old interested better than blanking on a great big lake.

Off the A104.

Best swim IMO is opposite the road as you look at the pond.

We've only just started..! So, we are both inexperienced but willing to try new ground...I'll give it a go this weekend...

I can see this new hobby swallowing up lots of money...does that sound famiiar...!

Cheers.

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."