Getting paint off leather

BoozleBear

How do you get paint off a leather?

I have to go to a party on Saturday, and will wear a biker jacket I used to wear when I was about half my age! Trouble is it has been painted on the back and sleeves, I think with oil paint, and it is an absolute pain in the bum to get off.

I have tried some of my wife's nail polish remover, much to her delight, which worked better than turps.

Do any of you know of anything that I can use that gets paint off quickly, and that won't ruin the leather?

Thanks,

Simon

Edited by BoozleBear

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

According to this page, you need 'rubbing alcohol':

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf409648.tip.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

According to this page, you need 'rubbing alcohol':

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf409648.tip.html

I was wondering what kind of a site you were sending me to with that url!

Next question - where the hell do I buy rubbing alchohol?!

Don't know if this would help but it could be a cheap alternative.

You'll need a Plumbers Merchant.

Plastic Pipe Cleaning Solvent, I once used it to take a companys logo off the back of a Donkey Jacket, it is alcohol based.

Try it on a small area of your leather jacket first.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

I have to go to a party on Saturday, and will wear a biker jacket I used to wear when I was about half my age! Trouble is it has been painted on the back and sleeves, I think with oil paint, and it is an absolute pain in the bum to get off.

I have tried some of my wife's nail polish remover, much to her delight, which worked better than turps.

Do any of you know of anything that I can use that gets paint off quickly, and that won't ruin the leather?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi simon, i was a dry cleaning shop manager, and cleaned many leathers, but some with paint on them. and many other run of the mill stains.

Unfortunatley, i dont know whether you will find a cleaner that could do it in time, or gurantee to remove it.

Rubbing alsorts of chemicals into the leather will either ruin the leather itself, or leave you with colour fading spots.

My advice, to be totaly honest, is go for a new one, the cost of cleaning will start you at a min of £35.00 and the maybe more to replace a panel that has paint on it.

so maybe it might be as well to keep your leather intact and in the condition its in and the memories you have attached to it and purchase a new or second hand one.

I have seen many leathers where people have had a go as they say, and totaly destroyed them with just a little over the counter chemical. or mirriacle remover.

regards

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Hi simon, i was a dry cleaning shop manager, and cleaned many leathers, but some with paint on them. and many other run of the mill stains.

Unfortunatley, i dont know whether you will find a cleaner that could do it in time, or gurantee to remove it.

Rubbing alsorts of chemicals into the leather will either ruin the leather itself, or leave you with colour fading spots.

My advice, to be totaly honest, is go for a new one, the cost of cleaning will start you at a min of £35.00 and the maybe more to replace a panel that has paint on it.

so maybe it might be as well to keep your leather intact and in the condition its in and the memories you have attached to it and purchase a new or second hand one.

I have seen many leathers where people have had a go as they say, and totaly destroyed them with just a little over the counter chemical. or mirriacle remover.

regards

sean

Cheers for all the advice guys.

Simon

Cheers for all the advice guys.

Simon

Find somebody who likes you.......................

And get them to powerwash the jacket with a hot pressure washer, while you are wearing it, might work :blink:

-OR-

Find somebody who doesn't like you...................

And get them to powerwash the jacket with a hot pressure washer, while you are wearing it, still might not work but if they dislike you that much they might pay for the privilidge and you can buy a new coat :lol:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Thanks,

Simon

Ask your wife Si,as she seems to have done a good job of getting the paint off of her face in the photo you sent me! :yeah: