SHORE FISHING - LANZAROTE

skeetshoot

Hi there

Looking for any advice from anyone who has done shore fishing in Lanzarote.

I am visiting Porto Del Carmen later this year and will be keen to pack a rod or two for a spot of shore fishing.

Any tips or advice would be great

Best locations

Best approach

Tackle to use

Species I can target

I guess I will be doing a lot of my fishing around the old harbour area.

cheers for any help!!!

hi mate, a good start would be to use the search facility, that is at the top right of the page, type in lanzarote and see what comes up.

i live in spain but could only offer general info as im not near there.

for sure there are some guys on here with actual experience.

cheers dave :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Skeetshoot

Just back and I promised lots of people here a a report so here goes...

Try off the rocks near dusk in PDC with small prawn baits on 2s and 4s, tree hook flappers or similar rigs will do find. You can fish into the surf in daylight and catch small mullet and other species as well. Snorklet around to see where the fish holding terrain is... very easy to do. There are annular sea bream in shoals and a host of other species (behind the San Antonio hotel at the airport end of the strip). We also saw small jacks and a bluefish in the water nearby, not big but you might try a few plugs and spinners. I am told the 68 Yellow Hammer from the Tasmanian Devil range on www.wigstonslures.com.au is the business locally - bend it a bit in the middle and pull it in fast. It is a perfect imitation for the annular bream so that could be it. I would be careful about wading as it shelves very quickly in places (snorkeling will show you this) and there are submerged rocks, soft sand pockets and some fearsome rip currents...

You will also pick up moray eels (known locally as morena) around the rocks on small fish baits, but they again require a wire trace and careful handling - teeth like a T-Rex :blink: On the subject of dangers, there are also three types of weaverfish that are caught after dark on mixed and sandy ground, so be very careful and that does not include the scorpionfish some of which are very seriously poisonous. Anything with frilly fins red/orange, play it very safe. Some of these buggers can put you in a hospital very quickly.

They catch a type of megrim and sole off the beaches on prawn and strips of squid baits. Flatfish rigs will work well but I don't know about twitching - I know it puts the sole off here and suspect it would do the same there. Deckchair and beer fishing then! :lol: Crab is a good bait too but it attracts parrotfish which will snip anything except wire so avoid it unless fishing only on sand. You can buy them in jars in shops.

If you can distance cast on the beaches you can hit several types of ray including stingers and butterfly. You can also pick up a host of small sharks and dogfish, including smoothies and tope apparently but all at night. There are also reports of all sorts of species including jacks, bonita, and sierra (bluefish) and up north on Famara beach, they apparaently get bar and spotted bars in the surf there. The best fishing on the island is in the west and north (the national park is prohibited) and on the small island of Graciosa.

I took a day out and we ended up rock fishing at El Golfo on the west coast. Walk to the end of the strip and out onto the rocks. There is a keyhole shaped gully, deep, which is excellent for sea bream. We took four species in half an hour, up to a kilo on a single prawn threaded head first onto a 3/0 hook. You will be driven demented by micro species if you float fish so buy loads of small leads locally (Arrecife, you can collect your rod licence at the Cabildo in there as well to keep it all legal, it lasts three years but you do need your passport)... great fishing and very tasty! The coast around the lighthouse at Pecheguria outside Playa Blanca offers deep water fishing, tried it but you need it flat calm to be safe. Wonderful potential... had a monstrous bite that took a deadbaited bogue, a small local anchovy / sardine like fish.

Closer to PDC, you can fish the rock armour OUTSIDE the harbours - try Puerto de Calero about 6 klicks down the road. The Punta de Congrio another 10 klicks down is also known as a decent spot. The trick is to get lots of small species float fishing and then wobble them in on a pike wire double treble rig towards dusk. Barracuda are the main target and they get very big with fish to 10 kilos reported! You can floatf ish for them using a qhole squid as well apparently. A wire trace is essential... it has also produced bluefish, leerfish and a meagre in recent months. No often, but then you will only need one!

People reckon that lures do not work but they might be worth a try. If you deadbait on the bottom, again with wire, you can find morays, rays and a host of other species in the deeper water.

Avoid the big harbours as the ferry wakes will wash you off.... you can NOT fish in the harbours - a 300 EURO fine. Lots of massive mullet there and big facio a local bream like fish that moves like lightning. If you ground bait from the rocks outside, you might be able to tempt some of them out but the barracuda tend to hang around the harbour mouth, so it can be a problem.

Hope this helps, will post photos when the mate emails me them!

Let me know how you get on, Ryanair are rumoured to be introducing direct flights from next year!

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Great information. I'm off to Puerto Del Carmen in December. Off to buy a travel rod this weekend!

Janet

yes

thanks for the very detailed report - this has given me much fishfood for thought....!

I know what gear to take and will be fishing in PDC Just before Christmas...

cant wait

great report kieran :thumbs: nice one mate. dont forget the photos :)

cheers dave :)

kieran, might be an idea to put on details of how to get a licence on the island, it would save people a lot of running around. cheers dave. :)

Edited by captain cojones

not long been back from Peurto Del carmen, did not have agreat deal of time to go fishing, but was able to get out for a few hours every other day, below is a little post i made on NESA after one of the lads asked me how i got on.

hols not very good, the weather was down to 17 degrees at times, mind that was 7 o'clock in the morning, most of the time it was only 27 to 30 degrees. And the pool well the water was freezing must have been at least 25 degrees. Fishing not so good, mullett tended to be small with only one of 4lb giving a decent meal for two. And the bream, well the majority of the hard fighting little monsters only weighed about 12-14oz, with only about half a dozen over 2lb would have made a substantial meal for two, and as for the garfish, well there was not a lot around it was only on the odd day that you could not get through them to get to other species and they where quite small took four to make a meal for two. And the bait so hard to get, had to pop into the local Spar for a loaf of bread (found that by far the best bait) and fresh prawns and squid, well had to walk fifty yards from the car park to the fresh fish shop. That is why there are no photos, could also have something to do with the fact that the big rocks the pier was built on may have provided nice fishing platforms, but drop anything and it was gone forever. Taking my old camera as well next time. PS Lanzarote, amazing what you can do with a slag heap.

The water at the back of the Harbour is very deep and i found the best tactics where fishing two size one long shank hooks, some of the bream have got nice teeth, at a depth of 25-30 feet, bottom fishing was impossible with the rods i had, couldnt cast far enough to get over the boulders forming the foundations of the pier. Taking abigger rod in Feb and going to fish deeper, and try other places. The tuna boats where actually looking for fish only forty yards off the pier, a couple of locals where fishing with borgas, but never saw them catch anything. Little bits of fish took most of the garfish fished at only afew feet. The tide drop can be great on the big tides, so if you are fishing from the pier take a long handled landing net, the big boulders are very slippy when wet. was put in touch with a local angler, he owns a restaurants and catches most of the fish they cook, he offered to take me fishing for grouper, but when he said it takes an hour to an hour and a half to land one I declined. All in all if you are just going for a bit of sport as i was the pier was ideal. During my few session i did have something grab a garfish i was bring in, but float fishing a lump of garfish produced nothing. Another time i was bringing in a small bream, when i had a bit of a tug, wound in no fish, and only six inches of snood left.

An incredible site is the two huge rays in the harbour, must be 150 to 200lb and they come right in to the side in only afew feet of water.

will have to copy Kierans post for furture reference, have also been told the pier at Arracife is very good as well.