Medium Baitrunners!

Mat Hillman

With the start of the Tench Season creeping up on us, I'm thinking about updating my reels! I bought some budget shimano ones a couple of years ago and have never been 100% happy with them!

Any suggestions for medium baitrunners for tench and shortish range carping

They are going to go on a pair or Drennan series7 1.75 avons and main use will be small medium waters (and hopefully a visit to wingham!)

Mat

Mat

My late model therefore superior to Rusty`s Mitchel is indeed a great reel for the money ,all of my Okumas still work including the interceptor cheap ones and the epix baitrunners must have been bought circa 95ish and apart from scratches and dents are still superb good darg and baitrunner they have been faultless but again older models.....the Shakespeare Cypry baitrunners I bought are S67t all bar one have broken should have listened and got older Shimmys when I bought them

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Same as Anderoo, i'm a fan of the 5000gte's but also the earlier 5010's.

Thinking about it 8000gte's or 8010's would still be a good size for wingham, I used them on my first visit and they where spot on. The bodies arn't much bigger, it's the spool that's bigger to hold more line if you need it to.

Edited by Tigger

Mat,

Are you looking for a reel with the baitrunner feature? Either way I guess I would certainly NOT overlook Okuma. They seem to be getting better and better.

Phone

Edit: ha ha - sorry - guess I should read the thread title

Edited by Phone

Hi Matt, not sure you remember me or that I am on/off member of Wingham and for my tench fishing I used the Shimano 5000b reel for my short range to medium range fishing.

These are much sought after reels that can be found on eBay's, gumtree and Facebook traders pages. They do go second hand prices up to £50 to £75 depending who you buy them off!

But I wouldn't recommend the older types like the RE baitrunner versions because the parts tend to break quite easily. I am not sure what the new versions like the DL, ST, RA etc as I been quite happy with the 5000b.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/