Who do you most learn from?

Steve Burke

, I would sit in the lounge with my pop and crisps, and stare at the cases of stuffed fish, many of which were caught by Daves hero, Jim Bazley, a Leeds national angler.

I'm glad someone else has heard of him !

A guy who not only won matches, but caught lots of big fish (pike to 30 lb, roach to just under 3 lb, three trout in a session aggregating 19 lb, 161 grayling in 12 hours, and many large barbel, bream, perch and tench.

Made much of his own tackle as a lad (rod rings made out of his mother's hairpins)

a good greenheart rod will last a lifetime..........the fact that its intrinsic value is but a few shillings is no indication of its real worth when in the right pair of hands

Long before the era of "scientific angling" Jim Bazley carried a thermometer and took barometric readings every day.

...and was President , not only of Leeds Amalgamated AA for fourteen years, but also of the National Association of Anglers from 1913 to 1925, and Chairman of the Yorkshire Fishery Board. Wrote several angling books and was angling correspondent of The Yorkshire Evening Post

.....so .....a fairly active angler , then.

...and I love this...

rods with two tops cost more and are sold simply to provoke bad language when you tread on the spare or leave it behind when packing up

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Like all of the others I am largely self taught, but I have learned a lot from the guys on here like Leon, Vagabond, Budgie etc. However as I am not Coarse fishing much I am looking to the likes of Charles Jardine, Mike Marshall, Peter Cockwill etc.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• 2 weeks later...

At the age of 7 just chatting up anglers at OBH fishery ( before the boat house was there) over the space of about 3 years especially catching Pike when they really had good clean pike unlike now. Also poaching the River mole...

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Reading through the names here brought back so many memories, Ilike most I started on my own. going to a school 400yds from Keston ponds was always going to be trouble!.

I consumed books like sweets at that age, but with age I can now say that the 2 'writers' who stand out for me are Ivan marks and Len Head. Two more different anglers you could not find, but the one thing they had in common was enthusiasm and a love of all things piscatorial. It is sad that nowdays there are so few will sit and read a good book , not only to learn but to bring out ideas and questions. I fear that the instant gratification age will mean we have a generation of anglers that are narrow in there approach. All I can do is hope my sons enthusiasm persists and in later life he remembers the lessons and pleasures that a day by the water can bring.

Life is not a dress rehearsal, enjoy it

I have all of Len Head's books, and was lucky enough to have fished with him a few times. Len was a great all-rounder and sadly died young, as did his fishing partner Alan Pearce whom I also knew. Alan used to be a member of this forum and his posts and articles are worth looking up.

I have all of Len Head's books, and was lucky enough to have fished with him a few times. Len was a great all-rounder and sadly died young, as did his fishing partner Alan Pearce whom I also knew. Alan used to be a member of this forum and his posts and articles are worth looking up.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

He used his own name I think, Phone.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A shame but understandable.