Who do you most learn from?

Steve Burke

It was my father who first got me interested in angling and used to take me every other week along the Thames and the Gt. Ouse and the very first books my father bought me were 'Freshwater Angling' by 'Faddist' (Edward Ensom) and 'Fine Angling for Coarse Fish' which was written by various authors with chapters written by such names as F.W.K. Wallis, Edward Ensom (Faddist), Eric Parker, Dr. W.J. Turrell and others. However it was Richard Walkers writings that really influenced me the most followed closely by Peter Stone, Frank Guttfield and Tag Barnes, and of course Denys Watkins Pitchford (BB).

Many other authors have influenced me since but the ones mentioned above influenced me the most in my formative years.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Like others my dad took me fishing in the early years but wasn't a committed angler. I learnt a lot from cousin who was much older than me and use to go with him when he was match fishing. I read a lot of books and magazines when younger but to be honest they were either already out of date or everything was an ideal scenario. that didn't match the waters i was fishing. So i guess i learnt most on the bank side watching others and learning a lot of things the hard way , by trial and error.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Like many on here, there was no-one in my family interested in angling.

I discovered it for myself at age seven by spotting tiny fish in the brook that ran through my village. These, I discovered much later, were bullheads and stone loach.

Caught some, firstly by hand, then by handline, and finally by bush pole.

Not only were my parents not interested in angling - they were dead against it, which made life difficult for a seven-year-old. All my tackle was not only home-made, but concealed in various thick holly bushes about my angling territory - anything angling-related my parents found was promptly burnt

Not until my aunt had the good sense to marry a farmer who was also a good all-round angler did I discover that angling was not just for boys, but for life.

Apart from my uncle, the first adult influence on my angling was Jim Bazley author of "Coarse Fishing", twice winner of the All-England and advocate of floating crust for carp long before the days of Dick Walker.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

apart from a few basic's i'm self taught ,and I copied methods from mags and video's and read a couple of books & comics .and lots and lots of practice ,i'd keep doing a method until I was confident with it ,sometimes i'd copy other anglers as well .it'd be easier if I was starting today with all that the internet offers .but i'm still learning & practicing .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Like most others on here was taken by my Dad to start mostly on the River Lea but he was no fisherman and we basically<br />muddled through.<br /><br />Then joined Edmonton & Tottenham AC junior section in the sixties when I would guess I about twelve years old and used to go on there outings mostly on the Thames. Learnt quite a bit from the older guys there especially how to look after<br />their kit when they went down the pub. Remember the man who helped run the junior section who was Ron Oliver a bit of a legend and a great fisherman.<br /><br />Still muddling through now fifty years on.

All,

These answers surprise me to some degree "who do you most learn from" has a simple answer (since it is NOT in the past tense). Often stated, most fish are caught by only a few fishermen. Early on I learned to apply all the watercraft skills I could muster - most of which was from past experience.

I most learn from the fish on any particular day.

Phone

My uncles got me in to fishing while on holiday in Ireland and so I picked up the basics from them around knots and water craft etc but most of it was self taught back in England from reading books from the library and from watching John Wilson's fishing programs. It's odd thinking back how amazing it was for John's stuff to be on mainstream TV, he showed me a world of fishing outside of my local waters. He was a big influence on my fishing. These days there is so much information available in magazines, internet,DVD's, books and TV but at the time JW was an important source of fishing knowledge for those who may not have had a guiding figure to their fishing.

In later life, I think my ability and knowledge has gone through stages of biggish jumps when I have tried either new styles of fishing or venues. Anderoo mentioned the wingham specimen group and for some one like me of modest abilty being surrounded by better anglers it would be hard not to learn lots of stuff. I often get to fish when abroad on holidays and learn a great deal from guides and crews. I have never had a guru style figure who I have learnt alot from but like a magpie i have collected lots of little trinkets of information from anglers more talented then me.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

My influences have varied a lot over my fishing life. My first was my dad who had me late in life, and as a proud new father, he took me down to the Leeds & District club at an early age. There, I was kind of adopted and gained dozens of 'uncles', to go with the two real ones. I got a taste for what to aim for at the club. While my dad was at the meeting, I would sit in the lounge with my pop and crisps, and stare at the cases of stuffed fish, many of which were caught by Daves hero, Jim Bazley, a Leeds national angler. Way back then, angling clubs were family orientated, and the wives and kids used to travel on the coach, and carry on to the coast after dropping the men off. I asked to stay with my dad at about 6 years old, so he used to take me and I would sit behind him, (often loosely tied to a tree or large stone, to prevent me falling in), while he fished the match. I must have been pretty well behaved because it became a regular thing, if the venue was suitable. I was taught the basics, ie, knots, type of floats etc, while helping my dad get his gear ready on a Saturday, and then if I went on the Sunday, either my dad, or one of my 'uncles' would explain the various swims, likely holding spots, type of fish to expect, as well as why they had tackled up in the way they had. I had all this knowledge fed to me from about the age of 3, but never actually cast a bait in 'anger' until I was 9! I was bursting to fish for myself by then, but sadly my father was taken ill, and very rarely went. My first trip was with my older brother, where I caught a perch. My dad died the following year, and it was a while before I felt like going. I started a new school at 11, and met a few lads that went fishing, and my interest came back. Then it was a case of read everything I could get my hands on, and names like Walker, Stone, Taylor, Lane, Ashurst, all became an influence. Later I joined an angling club and the fellow anglers became sources of valuable info, and because I was mainly match oriented, I met some great anglers from further afield, one that stands out most is Ivan Marks. All these people and many more have had an influence on my angling, but one piece of advice that came from my dad has probably helped me use the the things I've picked up over the years, and that's,

'Listen to all advice, from any source, but don't blindly follow any of it, always think about it, and try to adapt it to suit the way you fish'.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

'Listen to all advice, from any source, but don't blindly follow any of it, always think about it, and try to adapt it to suit the way you fish'.

John.

Now, that is good advice.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek