taking a dunk

jonsok1

with all the talk of waders, drysuits, wetsuits, which is best etc....started me thinking as a new kayaker (6 months) i have yet to take a dunking , not even come close yet, now i mainly launch from brixham harbour or livermead which depending on the wind direction are sheltered launch sites, my point , when are you likely to be at risk of taking a dunk , is it at launch or landing or are you likely to get dunked by a big wave while out fishing, i have been out off berryhead and had a big power boat came within 100 yards , now that was a bit. scary but i never felt like i was going to capsize.

can the more experienced out there who have taken a dunk give us there experiences, this i think will help us less experienced to know what to look out for

:thumbs:

Hi jonsok1,

I also paddle and fish in Torbay, though I normally launch my Prowler 13 from Paignton or Goodrington.

Now in my previous kayak (an old Waverider from Australia) stability was poor and some of my outings tended to involve quite a degree of swimming too.

The only times that I've been out of the Prowler are:

1. On purpose, (in deep water) to practice getting back in, about a dozen times in succession. A good confidence-builder, assuming that you can do it ! (And if you can't, you may find yourself in deep poo).

2. Coming in through a gentle surf onto Paignton beach, I lost concentration, the back swung around and over I went in 6 inches of water. This was particularly annoying as I was just congratulating myself for completing an uneventful trip from Totnes, down the Dart and around Berry Head - over 23 miles according to my GPS.

From reading other posts it would seem that coming in through even a small surf is the most likely time for a wetting, particularly if you have a Prowler, which seems prone to yawing in these conditions. Some of the guys have suggested it's better to back in, although I've not yet tried it myself.

The only other time I came close was when one of the commercial pleasure boats plying from Paignton came up on me from behind at full pelt as I was trolling off Livermead. Apart from nearly capsizing me, he sliced through my line too, he was that close. Look out for those dangerous so and sos !

Personally, I wouldn't linger too long at Berry Head as conditions there can change dramatically very quickly, and it's a fair way to the nearest landing place at Brixham beach.

After fishing in St Mary's Bay, I was coming back around Berry Head just as an (unpredicted) Easterly wind blew up. Big waves were actually breaking over the stern and onto my back as I half paddled half surfed towards Brixham. Really scary stuff and had I capsized, the kayak and I would both have been cast onto the rocks.

As I usually paddle alone, this experience has made me rather more cautiuous and respectful of the sea.

And, although I am a strong swimmer, I ALWAYS now wear a PFD.

Don't be over confident because you've never been dunked - it will happen, so be ready for it !

Maybe see you around one day.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Captainsorgan, useful info but on the chest wader thing at the end. How much weight in water do you think the average chest waiders hold , when you try and climb out of the pool you have just jumped into, and gravity takes over?

Or indeed try and climb back onto your sit on kayak!!

Quite a lot me thinks!!! :fish:

Hey Seahunter, PM waiting for you when you have the necessary number of posts. Welcome to the forum btw.

Hey Capt. Organ, I think your response to Seahunter was unecessarily abusive and uncalled for. Let's try and keep it civilised shall we?

When I kayak in winter I use a two piece combination suite consiting of Breathable waders with a dry cag top.

A 2 piece combination suit consists of two parts that are designed to be combined and that can be sealed together

a 2 piece combination suit combining waders and a dry cag top is a bit like saying I'm wearing a mini skirt with it's combined fur coat :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Zzippy I'm tempted to ask you if I can borrow your waders next time we head out. I'd be interested to know if I can get back on the yak with flooded waders. Although its not my choice of clothing the waders debate comes up from time to time & would like to see for myself.

Could just wear them over the dry suit with no cag, drop over the side to get them flooded and then try getting back on again.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Now comparing that to Scotland in February, where I actually paddled this year - there is simply no comparison - And guess what - 99% of the paddlers wear your" mini skirt and fur coat" - now that worth a good giggle in my books and Crikey - the locals who have been doing this for years and years, will simply p1ss themselves when they hear it………..

I'd advise them against that if I were you,they will only get thier Knickers and tights wet :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

Have you actually tried getting into a pool with waders on? Have you ever tried getting back onto a SOT with waders on - If not, don’t make assumptions about weight - gravity - specific gravity or anything else, because you simply don’t have a clue....................................................

The incredible changing post!!! ha ha :lol:

Who's is that Teddy on the floor? Which cot did it come out of? Eh? :lol:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Have you actually tried getting into a pool with waders on? Have you ever tried getting back onto a SOT with waders on -

I haven't and never will having read Captains organs info on Hypothermia,hell I've only worn my wetsuit once this year and I got cold---as C.o. rightly said you will lose heat a lot quicker when wet, 25% wasn't it?----that's why I'll be staying dry and hopefully alive----that's if I don't get hit on the head by a flying dummy :2::D

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

I'm neutral on the waders debate as I haven't tried them.

I will say though that a breathable dry suit is just that - breathable. Any sweat is wicked up to the outer layer of appropriate undergarments and then through the dry suit outer layer. Not all dry suits or cags/dry trousers will be the same.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I'm neutral on the waders debate as I haven't tried them.

I will say though that a breathable dry suit is just that - breathable. Any sweat is wicked up to the outer layer of appropriate undergarments and then through the dry suit outer layer. Not all dry suits or cags/dry trousers will be the same.

I think you'll also find that most people that wear them paid the extra money to get the front zip type,handy when you intend to stay all day on the water :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5