taking a dunk

jonsok1

CaptOrg

Humble pie is nicest with just a touch of salt :lol:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

and after the personal insults that you've hurled you deserve to eat a truckload Mr.Organ:2:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one of the "talk the talkers" - good to see you have made your exceptionaly well thought out contribution (again) But since you mention salt - perhaps you need to know this

Hyperthermia - The opposite of hypothermia is hyperthermia. This is when the body overheats which is also possible during kayaking. Some signs of hyperthermia are: excessive sweating, fatigue, pale skin, nausea, weakness, and confusion. How to deal with it: get to shade, rest, fan the subject somehow, cover in wet clothing, injest water (no ice) with a very small amount of salt if available. Drink moderately, don't injest it all at once. If still feeling bad, seek professional help quickly, it could be heat stroke. During heat stroke the heart accelerates as the body temperature passes 104 degrees. This is not good. Get somewhere quick where there is professional help.

HYPERTHERMIA

DEFINITION

Hyperthermia is a body core temperature in excess of 40.0°C.

TOXIC CAUSES

Anticholinergic Agents

Antihistamines

Atropine and related alkaloids

Antidepressants

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (overdose and interactions with

serotonin reuptake inhibitors)

Tricyclic antidepressants

Antipsychotics

Butyrophenones

Lithium

Loxapine

Phenothiazines (mainly flufenazine)

Drugs of abuse

Amphetamines and related compounds

Cocaine

Phencyclidine

Natural toxins

Lactrodectus species

NONTOXIC CAUSES

Brain tumors

Heat stroke

Hypoxic brain damage may result in thermodysregulation

Infections (viral, bacterial, rickettsial, malaria, etc)

Status epilepticus

Thyroid storm

CLINICAL FEATURES

The key investigation is the core temperature (usually the rectal

temperature; oral and axillary temperatures are not reliable).

Clinically, the patient may be sweating profusely due to

thermoregulation or the skin may be dry, due to anticholinergic agents

or dehydration.

Sustained hyperthermia leads to several serious acute complications.

Hypovolaemia from sweating and vasodilation reduces cardiac output and

hinders thermoregulation. Muscle breakdown leads to hyperkalaemia,

myoglobinuria, and acute renal failure. Endothelial damage results in

disseminated intravascular coagulopathy. Most importantly, sustained

hyperthermia causes acute brain damage and convulsions.

Non-cardiogenic pulmonary oedema (adult respiratory distress syndrome)

also may occur. Death is often sudden and probably the result of a

cardiac arrhythmia.

Initially, signs and symptoms may differ according to the drugs

involved. For example. anticholinergic agents are usually associated

with warm, dry skin, while sympathomimetic agents (e.g., amphetamines,

cocaine) are more likely to present with pale, moist skin, tremors,

and convulsions. Several heat illness syndromes have been

well-described:

Cooling Methods

1. Sponging and spraying with medium temperature water, along with

fanning promotes heat loss through evaporative cooling.

2. Cooling blankets (hypothermic blankets) or iced saline gastric

lavage may be appropriate.

3. Care for patient in relatively cool environment.

4. Antipyretic medications (e.g. salicylate, paracetamol) are

ineffective in most cases.

5. Extracorporeal circulation cooling may be considered.

Other general measures

Give supplemental high-flow oxygen.

Correct hypoglycaemia, and provide supplemental glucose intravenously.

Most patients are hypovolaemic: give 1 to 2 liters of IV fluids (e.g.,

saline) and monitor volume status and urine output.

Correct electrolyte and metabolic imbalance.

LONG-TERM COMPLICATIONS

Brain injury (perhaps you have spent a little to long in your fry suit along with good old richi)

Renal failure

I see the aggression pills haven't worked then!

Steady Captain, only a little light hearted banter, you have got your right to your ideas just the same as everybody else, and nobody can say your "write-ups" are not well informed, just chill a bit mate we are all friends here :):):)

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

Wow that DUI dry suit is some suit. Not an expert but it must be good to protect against Polar Bears.................or did I read that wrong .................der! ;):P

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

SDD and SIJ,

Yep, you are correct- I apologies if I have got a "bit heavy" in these replies, perhaps it's time to chill.

I think the point is, people will do what they feel most comfortable with - I use my DUI dry suit when the polar bears are out - my Palm two piece suit is OK - not the panacea to all protection methods available, but adequate for the job on hand.

Mostly I fish in waders, both neoprene and breathable (summer) - and that is probably because I fly fish 99.9 % of the time and I split my fishing time between bank / gravel bar and open water.............

All the best

Mike

Nice one Mike :):) We can be a sarcastic lot at times, but no harm meant, I actually look forward to your postings mate, some of the pics are SUPERB and you make a whole heap of sense so keep em comin as far as I am concerned :yeah::)

Dave

Er... so that'll be one dry suit please... no, wait Palm trousers...no, no hang on Dry suit, definitely... er Palm trousers.... Oh sod it, Richi, can I borrow your mini-skirt? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

it's in the wash :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Cheap end of yachtie dry suits, tri-laminate and front-zip, is around £200 and up.

Better quality 4 layer laminate yachtie dry suits around £300 and up.

Tri-laminate designed for Kayak use, better fit etc, around £400 and up.

4 layer laminate designed for Kayak use around £600 and up.

Tri-laminate 2pce suit, bib/trousers with latex boots & relief zip, cag with dual waist seal and a hood, around £360.

4 layer laminate cag and tri-laminate bib/trousers around £430 and up.

Decent quality tri-laminate breathable waders and tri-laminate cag with dual waist seal and a hood, around £280.

So going with waders and a cag isn't a cheap option, there are cheaper dinghy sailing tri-laminate dry suits, ..... unless you already have the waders.

Personally, given that winter fishing for me often means driving rain, I like the idea of a decent hood on a cag. Somehow the rain always seems to find that tiny gap between my hat and cap, even when I'm wearing a balaclava.

I don't think you have to get too hung up about weather or not a semi-dry combo will keep you dry enough though. Last winter up here a shore angler wearing a 2pce floatation suit was washed into the sea. It was 1hr before the rescue services managed to pull him out and he survived. The suit had no sealing at all apart from wrist cuffs, so a 2pce semi-dry will perform much better than that.... as long as you get sufficient insulation.

Its more a matter of comfort, practicality and cost.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Cheap end of yachtie dry suits, tri-laminate and front-zip, is around £200 and up.

Tri-laminate 2pce suit, bib/trousers with latex boots & relief zip, cag with dual waist seal and a hood, around £360.

Decent quality tri-laminate breathable waders and tri-laminate cag with dual waist seal and a hood, around £280.

for everything else there's MasterCard :)

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

So going with waders and a cag isn't a cheap option, there are cheaper dinghy sailing tri-laminate dry suits, ..... unless you already have the waders.

Personally, given that winter fishing for me often means driving rain, I like the idea of a decent hood on a cag. Somehow the rain always seems to find that tiny gap between my hat and cap, even when I'm wearing a balaclava.

I don't think you have to get too hung up about weather or not a semi-dry combo will keep you dry enough though. Last winter up here a shore angler wearing a 2pce floatation suit was washed into the sea. It was 1hr before the rescue services managed to pull him out and he survived. The suit had no sealing at all apart from wrist cuffs, so a 2pce semi-dry will perform much better than that.... as long as you get sufficient insulation.

Its more a matter of comfort, practicality and cost.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

great replies from everyone, even if it got a bit heated, but as spanner says you pays your money and take your choice, personally my shimano waders cost me £60 and the dry top £40 s/h (ebay) so for around £100 i will be warm and dry this winter, but like i said my fishing will be close to home if i fished like richi then yes the drysuit has got to be a must,

cheers

jon :sun: