Sending faxes from your pc?

Dan

No, Ive got broadband but could double up if it doesnt cause any conflicts?

dan

No mate, I think you've missunderstood - you can't run send a fax off a broadband modem. As Newt has confirmed (cheers, wasn't sure myself), you do need a 56k modem just to send a fax.

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56k fax modems aint expensive now and can be picked up for about £10

just make sure it is a fax modem though

Ye but, if it's just for the one fax, it mights? Makes I mean!! ;) it a very expensive fax!! :D

If it is mate, I would pop down to your stationers and get it done there (if they do it? ). Probs cost you a 50p or a quid :)

Edited by Emz

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

its the only way to send fax from your comp, with a 56 modem and the software, which has the fax printer to convert your document while opening the programme at the same time to send via a fax.

I would look around at the modem, the best to buy is a 56 modem that has supervoice programme for the fax, it also comes with answer machine and storage of messages, very good, have used that for a few years, but now have a fax phone.

like someone said, you can them for a tenner, most comp shops do them

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

its the only way to send fax from your comp, with a 56 modem and the software, which has the fax printer to convert your document while opening the programme at the same time to send via a fax.

I would look around at the modem, the best to buy is a 56 modem that has supervoice programme for the fax, it also comes with answer machine and storage of messages, very good, have used that for a few years, but now have a fax phone.

like someone said, you can them for a tenner, most comp shops do them

sean

The PC has a built in modem so no prob there, but can I run it together with broadband thro the filter? and more to the point where is the windows fax console?! I havent got one! just a fax wizard which doesnt allow me to attach a doc and cover editior. I want to do what Chesters says, sent a word doc to the fax using file/send to etc.

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Guest NickInTheNorth

Dan if you intend sending faxes regularly I would highly recomend getting hold of a copy of winfax pro from Symantec, it's the dogs dangly its!

The PC has a built in modem so no prob there, but can I run it together with broadband thro the filter? and more to the point where is the windows fax console?! I havent got one! just a fax wizard which doesnt allow me to attach a doc and cover editior. I want to do what Chesters says, sent a word doc to the fax using file/send to etc.

dan

not send ,the function is in the print drop down ,you print the thing you want to fax to the fax machine but only if fax is listed in the same place as the printers ;)

hopefully when you print anything on your pc a box opens containing a dropdown list (so you can choose the printer you want to use) the fax should be in there ,if not you have to use the fax wizard to "install" it.

in word for a strange reason it skips the box when you click on the printer symbol and tries to print to the default printer ,use the print function under "file" clicky thing on words top row.

when you print to the fax a console opens up letting you imput the phone number you want to send it to plus a few other things ,you can preview and adjust your fax before sending.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Fax machines are very cheap to buy these days. I would just buy a fax machine. Print your document out and send it. It's so much easier.

Argos have one here

Edited by Stoaty

I just need to fax one piece of paper to a shop that doesnt have email! Chesters if you look in word you can do file/send to/fax recepient but think its just the same as file/ print/ fax but you dont get the choice of a cover sheet. If it worked that is!

Update............ damn I hate it when Chesters is right!! ;) File/ print/ fax started a different wizard, I connected the modem cable filled in the numbers and pressed send, the PC disconnected the broadband and as far as I can tell sent the fax!

If you use the file/ send/ fax recipient route you have to choose between special fax software or microsoft fax, and microsoft fax is greyed out!

Anyway mission accomplished!

Cheers for the help

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

now just phone up to see if theve recieved it just to make sure :D fax isnt like email one wrong number and mrs mopp 3 streets away from the real number will get an earfull of strange noise and put the phone down.

do faxes send back aknowledements of reciept ? never entered my mind before having only used a fax a few times (never a real one only pc)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson