Moving Fish

Emz

Pleco`s are very strong fish and can survive without any heater in the water for more than a week (I know as my heater died just 2 hours before I was to go on holiday last year).

I`ve never has a problem with moving fish as long as you keep the water oxygenated and the fish in as darker place possible you should be fine, and so should the fish.

• 4 weeks later...
<_< You have probably already moved your fish? What you can do is put a little salt in the water you transport the fish in - it helps to replace the 'slime' cover on the fish, when they get stressed from the move. Water temp should stay as stable as possible - a bit cooler is better than warmer, as when the water cools the fish's metabolism slows down a bit which is better than overheating. :)

Nope, not moved them yet. Got a place now, moving in 2 weeks time. I'm not taking him out and putting him in fresh water as such, he's going with the slime and old water from the tank so some of his natural (whatever you call it) is with him. Already picked up a large polystyrene box from the fish shop. Going to put him in a thick double bagged bag in this with lots of air in. Journeys only six hours so fingers crossed he should be alright (already got a tank set up down at the other end too).

Just a quick question though. My plec atm is about 3 - 4 inches wide and he must be at least 10" + tall. It's a certaintly that I need a bigger tank for him now. I'm absoutely terrified about physically moving him from the tank to the box :o

I'm not sure which is the best way to move him. The last time I moved him he was only an inch long and even then he jumped out of the net, thankfully he landed in the tank!! :blink:

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

Guest Ferret1959

Put you hand over the net to stop him jumping.

Chances are he'll get tangled in the net anyhow and you will have to get him out by hand. :)