Sea Fishing and Conservation

John you came in for some stick on previous threads because you provoked people by posting crass pics of lots of dead fish, what do you expect?

Crass

1. having or indicating such grossness of mind as precludes delicacy and discrimination

2 : guided by or indicative of base or materialistic values

Sorry JRT but not sure how 'crass' fits here. Did you mean gross rather than crass?

In either case, the photo was of enough fish to feed a family one or maybe two meals and they look to me about like any other fish that have been caught, killed and gutted which are normal things to do with ones you plan to eat.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crass

1. having or indicating such grossness of mind as precludes delicacy and discrimination

2 : guided by or indicative of base or materialistic values

Sorry JRT but not sure how 'crass' fits here. Did you mean gross rather than crass?

In either case, the photo was of enough fish to feed a family one or maybe two meals and they look to me about like any other fish that have been caught, killed and gutted which are normal things to do with ones you plan to eat.

CHEERS NEWT , IT'S ABOUT TIME WE HAD SOME INTELLECT ON HERE

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

ok people do sell their catch and it is illegal(is that your gripe?) people are breaking the law everywhere with everything. can you tell me you have never sped? bought dodgy gear? bought cheap fags? everyone is breaking the law somewhere.

how can we be doing any sort of damage to the fisheries when looked at as a child (the trawlers take their quota out of the sea , then compare that to a recreational angler ....absolutely no comparrision whatsoever)

and what is CRASS about pictures of dead fish? i'm sure that all of them were given good homes and all thouroughly enjoyed.

as far as attitudes go , i think that with time attitudes do change along with lifestyle and it is a matter of evolution. people change (it's a simple matter of fact) all i can say to you is ; let parliament and europe fight it out and whatever will be WILL BE!

would love to see some pictures of your catches john, i would post some of mine but it may cause uproar as most of my photo's include pictures of lots and lots of dead fish!!

What kind of argument is that!! IT'S WRONG AND ILLEGAL SO DON'T F***ING DO IT! And yes it does impact the inshore fishing because we are not talking about the odd fish, these people catch LOTS of fish and make up a proportion of the black fish market which is a massive problem on the south coast especially.

If you don't see this I suggest you are in denial. I have had a banker mark of the last few years decimated this year by 1 boat! Everything caught gets sold, illegally. This 'angler' must have caught 500+ fish from this 1 spot. How sustainable is that?

Newt, 'crass' as in not very intelligent. He was trying to provoke a reaction on a thread talking about C&R and got one so what's his problem?

So all you 'Anglers' at what point do you think you have enough fish for the pot and then start returning them? Serious question.

JRT

Edited by JRT

Mind if I join in guys?

I re-started sea fishing two years ago after a break of nearly 30 years. Since I came back to it, I have seen quite a few changes in both equipment used, fishing methods and species caught (although the latter may have more to do with location). I regularly fish the Dorset & Devon coast, mainly from the shore but occasionally from charter vessels. Watching trawlers raping Lyme Bay often leves me wondering just why I bother lobbing a hook in the water. I fish for a number of reasons: I enjoy cooking and eating fish but I also enjoy the experience of just being closer to the sea and consequently I am rarely disappointed if (more likely when) I blank. I will openly admit to macky bashing at times but I have never wasted any fish. I have half a freezer full for winter bait, I also have three kilner jars packed with soused mackerel and occasionally I will pass some to friends because they appreciate the difference in fresh-caught fish. One mate in particular is a keen, prize-winning gardener and last month he rewarded me for my Summer's generosity by bringing me a box full of wonderful onions, leeks and beans from his allotment. Does accepting his vegetables make me a "commercial"? After all, I am accepting benefit in kind.

In the past, I lived on the Yorkshire coast and was a member of an angling club. We'd fish shore matches during the winter and take to the boats in summer. Distance seemed no object, we all just enjoyed being out there but rarely did any of us blank. I also remember taking fish in the past that I would definitely return now. Any bass over about 6 lbs in weight will be crap eating, to be honest I'd sooner chew the table. I also once wona "fur & feather" with a 3 oz dab, from the Humber, I'm sure that the warts and other growths on that fish weighed more than the fish itself.

All of my elder male relatives were on deep-sea trawlers and after one "pleasuring"(sic) trip, I vowed that I wouldn't be taking up that as a career. When the Cod Wars kicked off, I naturally sided with my family. How dare Iceland stop us from taking "their" fish? After all, the oceans and anything in them, belonged to everybody but especially to British trawler owners. Now as a grey haired old fart, I can appreciate what Iceland were trying to do and the evidence is there that they still have a thriving local fishing industry. Whereas our lads were forced to steam further away in search of enough fish to turn the owners a profit, until the industry became unviable.

Having depleted the North Sea, North Eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean, EU boats are now targetting West African fisheries, in return for a bung to a corrupt government. These boats are now taking fish directly from people who need that fish to eat, the money will not filter down to the impoverished, that's for sure. We can all point to other countries' markets and accuse them of taking and selling immature fish. But we have a collective responsibility here, like it or not, we are part of the EU and as citizens of such a federation, we all have a responsibility, not only for our own actions but also to educate others too.

There has been much debate over the licensing of recreational sea angling, I was initially anti but am now firmly in the pro-licensing camp. Until we become stakeholders in sea fishing, we will have no voice whatsoever. The commercials pay for their rights to fish and consequently, they are listened to far more readily than we are. They are better organised and can get their message across at all levels of government and the civil service (the people who really run the country). The supermarkets have massive political clout that transcends natural land borders, they too have a voice that can be and is listened to.

Of course there will always be those who view a sea-fishing license as just another "stealth tax", they're probably the same people who view speed cameras in the same light but until we are seen to be making a contribution, we will continue to have no say.

I realise that this is a bit of a ramble but I felt I had to get my twopennorth in. Before I sign off, I'll leave you with a Cree Indian saying:

Only when the last fish is caught

Only when the last buffalo is killed

Only when the last river is polluted

And the last tree felled

Only then will mankind realise

That he cannot eat money

The fish in the sea belong to no one person or nation. They are on this earth for the benefit of us all. Let's make sure we leave some for those following on from us to enjoy.

Edited by coddy

couldn't agree with you more , so why all the moaning about (looking after)conservation when you yourself have said that you have done it yourself?

i don't preach conservation on this forum because it aint called CONSERVATION NET if it was then i would put my point across and quite strongly , i might add.

its called ANGLERS NET and is for ANGLERS (like yourself with all your experiences of angling) and everybody else

i find it ridiculous that people on here latch on to a thread about fishing and pull it to bits with conservation issues FOR CHRIST'S SAKE give people a chance

what's the point?

My point is about presentation, what you see is what you get.

There has been much debate over whether there should be a conservation forum on AN and to date it has stayed the way it is.

So I would guess the majority of opinion is in favour of keeping it as one forum as conservation is part of the overall picture of angling.

John took his picture onto a conservation thread and flamed it, I am not sure why he did this, he could have ignored it as I did, we have covered that ground so much it was becoming a bore.

Sam took of on one and the whole thing turned into a slagging match at which Sam is a past master.

Result Sam ends up in a punch up with the mods and Elton, asked them to do their job properly and ban him.

The whole thing was very sad but as I saw it the book was closed.

John then came back with this thread, it read okay until the last four lines and they turned it into a victory march.

I have never met John but from our communications on here I have him down as a decent person who is always willing to help others and goes out of his way to do so and one day I would very much like to meet up with him and do a bit of blanking. :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

One or maybe two meals :blink: ? Either you haven't got a TV, or all that stuff we see in the media about the population of the US having huge appetites and equally matching waist lines is true?

What kind of argument is that!! IT'S WRONG AND ILLEGAL SO DON'T F***ING DO IT! And yes it does impact the inshore fishing because we are not talking about the odd fish, these people catch LOTS of fish and make up a proportion of the black fish market which is a massive problem on the south coast especially.

If you don't see this I suggest you are in denial. I have had a banker mark of the last few years decimated this year by 1 boat! Everything caught gets sold, illegally. This 'angler' must have caught 500+ fish from this 1 spot. How sustainable is that?

Newt, 'crass' as in not very intelligent. He was trying to provoke a reaction on a thread talking about C&R and got one so what's his problem?

So all you 'Anglers' at what point do you think you have enough fish for the pot and then start returning them? Serious question.

JRT

i'm sorry i didn't know we were living in a UTOPIAN society now. where the birds will sing and the grass will grow and all things beautiful.......

i'm just getting my balaclava on and going fishing to catch some fish (i hope i havn't offended anyone)

would you like me to give them a kiss (for you ) ?/? if i see any of course , apparently theres only one or two in the sea at the moment

i must keep catching the same ones all the time then , oh well lucky old me!

whatever happens in the future WILL happen , yes i grant you that you may have SOME sway in deciding what happens to the stocks of the sea (but ultimately )IT WILL NOT BE YOUR DECISSION!!

Good luck in your crusade to save the fish and wish you all the best in your attempts.

me............i'm going FISHING!!!!

:sun: !!!Don't Worry Be Happy!!! :sun:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

i'm sorry i didn't know we were living in a UTOPIAN society now. where the birds will sing and the grass will grow and all things beautiful.......

i'm just getting my balaclava on and going fishing to catch some fish (i hope i havn't offended anyone)

would you like me to give them a kiss (for you ) ?/? if i see any of course , apparently theres only one or two in the sea at the moment

whatever happens in the future WILL happen , yes i grant you that you may have SOME sway in deciding what happens to the stocks of the sea (but ultimately )IT WILL NOT BE YOUR DECISSION!!

Good luck in your crusade to save the fish and wish you all the best in your attempts.

Don't think you'll offend anyone Mr M, sure by now most people realize what a nieve irritaing individulal you are :thumbs:

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Have a good one and don't go kissing anything with teeth :lol::lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist