How to catch a stocked salmon? (for beginner)

danie1

Hi

I am quite new to fly fishing, and I was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to catch a stillwater stocked salmon. I went fly fishing at Hazel Copse fishery (South East England) where they stock both trout and salmon, although I saw plenty of salmon, I didnt catch anything. If anyone has been to Hazel Copse or knows what sort of flies/techniques to use please could you tell me. Also what sort of flies and fly colours are best for trout this time of year (october/november)?

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks

Daniel

If you want a good idea what flies are catching at any trout fishery then look at the recent entries in the catch returns book before you start fishing. Most fisheries have them on the counter where you buy your ticket. Most anglers are pretty honest about what they have been using! Don't get too obsessed by it though, one person puts "ten fish, orange lure" down and next thing everyone is catching on orange lures (because no-one is using anything else!)

Hiya.I have answered this on other forums for you.Will repeat it here though.

Red buzzers are a favoured fly for them,but at the end of the day you would be just as likely to catch them on a cats whiker.Are you sure they were salmon?.I have to say that when i have been there in the past,the water has been pretty murky.He used to stock some damn big rainbows and some tigers as well.I would not get too preocupied with the thought of catching one,if you are there and happen to latch into one-so be it.

I know some of the guys on the other forum have slated the place.Ok it is not a pretty venue and its very artificial.However the owner is genuine and its not overly expensive.It got me back into fly fishing-it was the first place i went to for ages.First fish a 9-4 rainbow. :thumbs: .

If you want a nice place to try,go to Duncton Mill just past Petworth.£30 for four fish,very vey pleasant -4 lakes,cracking club house with free drinks and cakes all day and a very good chance of a biggie.