Legitimate fishing methods ?

BobH

All legal methods are legitimate IMO. I don't like rules especially new ones made by people who just want others to follow their way of thinking. Rules (new ones) will be the demise of angling IMO. Having said that I can quite understand why spears and nets have been banned in modern times and thats a rules I would back.

Is a 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, or 4lb chub, barbel, ........., or even a carp an achievement if it caught by setting a known trap, in a known spot and you know its just a matter of putting the time in?

Personally I'd find chucking a spear more fun (and probably more skill full) than spending hours waiting behind a fishing rod or rods knowing the trap was set and thinking its just a matter of putting the time in.

I like having my own personal rules on the best ways to fish, because I can change them when it suits me. So do what you want Bob, just don't complain when you get bored. :)

Well lutra,

It took me 12 years to catch those fish and as far as I'm concerned I earned them, have a go at Fishers Green if you think it's easy and you just have to pitch up enough to catch one of the big fish ?

And of course all fishing is trapping, whether you like it or not, half of the fish were caught on methods like trotting and touch legering.

So those would be considered okay by yourself and the rest are not ?

And on my Gallery only four of those fish were caught on buzzers and bolt rigs, there not okay the rest are ?

There really are some people who believe one method is more sporting than another, I can't see it, at the end of the day we all use HOKS and if you take that argument to it's logical conclusion, it's all about trapping , is it not ?

Bob

Edited by BobH

If I had my own water, I would only have 1 rule, which would be very strictly enforced - fishing by invitation only :)

Wouldn't we all have that rule on our own water Andrew? I'd invite you, so long as you agreed to abide by my other rules of course. :rtfm::D

When anyone talks about 'trapping', in connection with bolt rigs etc, it always causes a few hackles to rise.

I agree that angling in most cases can be described as a form of trapping, in that it has the aim of fooling a fish into taking a bait that has a hook in it. The difference I can see, and I think Brian means, is the difference between 'laying a passive trap' especially a self hooking one, and most other methods of fishing, like trotting a bait, stalking a visible fish, rolling a bait into a likely looking spot, etc. This can be applied to legering of any kind, and indeed legering was looked upon as a 'lazy, unsporting method, not too long ago. Although I don't purposely use self hooking rigs, I can see situations where they are almost essential, and (as I've said many times before), the time spent discovering when and where the bait should be cast, to tempt one of a small number of specimens, is IMO, where the 'skill' connected to this method lies. There is however a section of angling that believes that this is the only method worth using, and it is the method 'proper' anglers use. I've lost count of the number of times I've been called a 'numpty' or worse, just because I preferred to float fish a water, when all the 'proper' anglers, are fishing for 'real' fish with the only 'proper' method. Indeed those who watched that poor excuse for an angling programme on channel 4, would have heard, "that float fishing was the kind of thing that 5 year olds do, we're going to do some real fishing next", cue carp fishing!

As I've said many times on here, if you're happy/confident with the legal methods you use, and the results you get, then why give a damn what others say about it.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

1. Don't be a dick.

2. See rule 1

That should cover it.

Define a "dick", preferably without getting personal. One mans "dick", is probably another mans friend, Steve.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As long as you obey the rules of the fishery, as far as I am concerned any method is legal. What makes me smile are those anglers who when fishing for one type of fish, refuse to acknowledge a specimen of another type, as 'they were not fishing for one of those'

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Define a "dick", preferably without getting personal. One mans "dick", is probably another mans friend, Steve.

Someone who behaves inconsiderately towards other anglers.

Someone who behaves in a way obviously likely to cause damage to the fishing.

But like Anderoo, I wouldn't invite anyone who wouldn't treat the venue and other members with respect!

Well lutra,

It took me 12 years to catch those fish and as far as I'm concerned I earned them, have a go at Fishers Green if you think it's easy and you just have to pitch up enough to catch one of the big fish ?

And of course all fishing is trapping, whether you like it or not, half of the fish were caught on methods like trotting and touch legering.

So those would be considered okay by yourself and the rest are not ?

And on my Gallery only four of those fish were caught on buzzers and bolt rigs, there not okay the rest are ?

There really are some people who believe one method is more sporting than another, I can't see it, at the end of the day we all use HOKS and if you take that argument to it's logical conclusion, it's all about trapping , is it not ?

Bob

Dear Bob,

Do as you like.

As I said "all legal methods are legitimate IMO". I don't impose my own rules on others and not even myself if the mood takes me.

I've never said anything about your fish or fishing and why would I? Your not me so do as you like.

If your asking do I think sitting behind rods for ages is easy. I would have to say no, its tediously hard work IMO and even a little bit of it kills me these days. But you do as you like Bob your not me.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep