Legitimate fishing methods ?

BobH

Dear Bob,

Do as you like.

As I said "all legal methods are legitimate IMO". I don't impose my own rules on others and not even myself if the mood takes me.

I've never said anything about your fish or fishing and why would I? Your not me so do as you like.

If your asking do I think sitting behind rods for ages is easy. I would have to say no, its tediously hard work IMO and even a little bit of it kills me these days. But you do as you like Bob your not me.

Lutra

I'm 70 in a few months and off course I will always fish the way I want to, within the rules.

But that was not my point, half the big Chub I have caught were on rigs that seem to be acceptable to some people, the other half were caught on bolt rigs, which are not, the Lea fish are few and far between, there is 5 miles of water at Fishers Green if you include Kings Weir and the fish can swim anywhere, much of the water is Out of Bounds to angling.

It's not for everyone and it's the hardest fishing I have ever done, there is always a chance of catching a monster and good luck to anyone who achieves their goal, they will have earned it !!

I spent an enjoyable morning fishing for Chub or Barbel, using a Cane rod and a centrepin reel, I had one Chub, as for bolt rigs, a running lead and a cane rod produces a bolt effect and who has not had a Barbel slam the rod around 5ft using a light lead.

Bob

• Like 1

Lutra

I'm 70 in a few months and off course I will always fish the way I want to, within the rules.

But that was not my point, half the big Chub I have caught were on rigs that seem to be acceptable to some people, the other half were caught on bolt rigs, which are not, the Lea fish are few and far between, there is 5 miles of water at Fishers Green if you include Kings Weir and the fish can swim anywhere, much of the water is Out of Bounds to angling.

It's not for everyone and it's the hardest fishing I have ever done, there is always a chance of catching a monster and good luck to anyone who achieves their goal, they will have earned it !!

I spent an enjoyable morning fishing for Chub or Barbel, using a Cane rod and a centrepin reel, I had one Chub, as for bolt rigs, a running lead and a cane rod produces a bolt effect and who has not had a Barbel slam the rod around 5ft using a light lead.

Bob

Only 5ft Bob, I could double that float fishing while rolling a fag with the rod tucked under my arm. :)

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

While we’re all puffing out our chests, bashing each others moral code and excluding undesirables from our own fisheries I’ve just learned that one of my clubs has stocked a lake with loads of chub!

If legal methods shouldn’t be questioned then what are you thoughts on the legal introduction of a particular native species to what might be considered an unnatural habitat…even if they thrive?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm pleased to see many people use a particular method because they get pleasure from it

I get pleasure from catching fish on a fly - (mainly trout, mullet, dace and various tropical sea fish) even though I know other methods are more productive.

I get pleasure from spinning for a number of predators, even on some occasions when I know a fish bait (live, dead or cut) would stand a better chance.

I get pleasure from using vintage, and even home-made rods and reels - they are what I used as a lad, and bring back nostalgic memories.

I get pleasure from trotting the stream, even though better fish might often be had by legering

What I think is wrong is for anyone to elevate the status of a particular method to something equating to a religion - if I feel like putting a leger or swim-feeder on, I do so. I know someone that was slung off a "traditional" forum for daring to suggest that for a long, light trotting rod, carbon was a better material than split-bamboo - I stopped posting on that forum as I have nothing in common with folks like that.

• Like 4

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

...... one of my clubs has stocked a lake with loads of chub!

......... what are you thoughts on the legal introduction of a particular native species to what might be considered an unnatural habitat…even if they thrive?

I know several gravel pits along the Medway that get regular doses of chub, barbel, trout and other "river" fish every time the Medway floods. Many upper reaches of the Medway, Eastern Rother, and Sussex Ouse have largish lakes formed by damming the rivers, and thus have "river" species present. - No doubt y'all can think of similar examples for your own local rivers.

These "naturally" (albeit as a result of man's civil engineering activities) stocked waters have thriving populations - certainly in the sense that the fish grow, although in the case of barbel and trout they do not seem to breed.

As regard club waters, I think it is a matter for the clubs concerned - some clubs even want to stock F1s !! If I don't like a clubs stocking policy, either on the grounds of unsound management, or on the mix of fish provided, or on the rules affecting what methods one can use, then I don't fish there.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

Vagabond,

I know someone who was chucked off a Traditional Fishing site, for mentioning " Boilies " :hypocrite:

That's the point I was trying to make, all methods as long as legal are Legitimate and have a place in Coarse fishing, but it appears some don't like that concept.

I'm off for Spinal injection today at the National Neurological Hospital (Queens Square) and hopefully I will be fit for a days trotting at the Lower Itchen Fishery on Sunday, if not I will stick out a dead bait and watch a Pike Float all day !!

Bob

• Like 1

I know several gravel pits along the Medway that get regular doses of chub, barbel, trout and other "river" fish every time the Medway floods. Many upper reaches of the Medway, Eastern Rother, and Sussex Ouse have largish lakes formed by damming the rivers, and thus have "river" species present. - No doubt y'all can think of similar examples for your own local rivers.

These "naturally" (albeit as a result of man's civil engineering activities) stocked waters have thriving populations - certainly in the sense that the fish grow, although in the case of barbel and trout they do not seem to breed.

As regard club waters, I think it is a matter for the clubs concerned - some clubs even want to stock F1s !! If I don't like a clubs stocking policy, either on the grounds of unsound management, or on the mix of fish provided, or on the rules affecting what methods one can use, then I don't fish there.

Horton kirby had natural stocking occasionally, i remember trying to catch some very obvious but extremely hard to tempt chub in what was the top lake in the late 60's.

Never did hook one but had a few takes

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Horton kirby had natural stocking occasionally, i remember trying to catch some very obvious but extremely hard to tempt chub in what was the top lake in the late 60's.

Never did hook one but had a few takes

That seems to be typical. I do know of two exceptions though - one small lake formed from a dammed stream tributary and one regularly flooded ox-bow - from both of which I have had a few four-pounders and stacks of threes. Several on lures. Several on float-fished lobs mid-water when after perch. That's a much larger average than from the river in the vicinity.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

I didn't mean to sound like I am right and everyone else is wrong. I'm as guilty as everyone else, for example I really hate keepnets, I really hate overstocked waters, I really hate single-species fundamentalism, plus a bunch of other things.

BUT I used to really hate livebaiting but use keepnets all the time...! No doubt I'll change my mind about other things over the course of my life too, but that's the point really, as long as it's legal do what you like and don't worry about other people's views too much. Otherwise you may just succeed in banning something that a few years later you wish you hadn't ;)

• Like 2

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That seems to be typical. I do know of two exceptions though - one small lake formed from a dammed stream tributary and one regularly flooded ox-bow - from both of which I have had a few four-pounders and stacks of threes. Several on lures. Several on float-fished lobs mid-water when after perch. That's a much larger average than from the river in the vicinity.

Perhaps the catch rate equates to food limitations ,if there plenty of natural food i guess the fish can get picky ,in an enclosed area i guess theres less choice but that may only apply to the oxbow which tend to be cut off wheras the stream like stream fed lakes would have a inlet and outlet so are nothing more than a overweight stream ,once the ponds full the same amount of water goes in as goes out

I am in two minds about stockbridge pond (the one i bailiff as you know) the water coming in has already gone through 5 ponds above so i guess theres less food and oxygen (although it could gain some in the stream between) but it must have more nutrients (due to the fish poop ) but i wouldnt says its a flourishing pond ,its poor food wise (you rarely see any bugs raking out the weed) and its gin clear often and the fish dont grow fast at all ,you would think they all would be starving but its a fairly hard water unless you know the tricks

Are the fish hard to catch because their stuffed with all the missing bugs from the weed or are there no bugs and the fish dont grow but strangely dont eat anglers offerings, i know from experience to much groundbait will result in no fish a 1 pint pot half full is generous any more and its wasted ,a bag of groundbait will last me a year but perhaps i am tight

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson