Any Advice On Keeping Ram Cichilds?

Crackin Clax

Hi All,

I am a great lover of ram cichilds, but...... everytime i include some within my tank they seem to die after about a month or 2.

Whietspot/Velvet seem to be the main cause.......

All the other fish in my tank including opaline gouramis, sunset platys, serpae tetras, neons, silver dollars and red finned sharks are all ok. They never seem to catch the whitespot...But the rams do...and the treatment never seems to work.

I have checked i am using the right dosage of the trreatment and i am!

I really do love these fish butare they realy that hard to keep?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

CC

The Clax Will Always Crack

I keep Rams in a an Amazon community tank. The main problem I have found with them is that the stock sold in most Aquarist shops is imported Asian rubbish. They are weak fish normaly in poor health when you buy them and they are expensive for what they are.

I now buy all of my dwarf cichlids from www.freewebs.com/microman1. He is a hobby breeder and shower who sells on his unwanted stock. The Rams you will get from him are either from German or first cross wild stock and are far superior to anything that you will ever see in the shops. His website is also one of the most informative that I have ever come across. The only slight problem being that once you see the variety of dwarf Amazon cihlids that he has to offer and the prices that he charges you will end up buying more than a couple of Rams I can promise you. I have bought a dozen fish from him so far including a pair of Rams and all are thriving without any problems with disease.

One last thing I keep my tank at Discus temperature of 30 celsius. As the Rams come from the same area as Discus it is probable be that the higher temperature is better for them as well.

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

I am a great lover of ram cichilds, but...... everytime i include some within my tank they seem to die after about a month or 2.

Whietspot/Velvet seem to be the main cause.......

All the other fish in my tank including opaline gouramis, sunset platys, serpae tetras, neons, silver dollars and red finned sharks are all ok. They never seem to catch the whitespot...But the rams do...and the treatment never seems to work.

I have checked i am using the right dosage of the trreatment and i am!

I really do love these fish butare they realy that hard to keep?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

CC

found u!!!