Where to catch a barbel?

wanzelbin

I'm hopefully going to go fishing some time in november and try and catch my first barbel.

I've looked into the famous Royalty and Throop fisheries, but wondered if they're the best thing to go for.

Many of you must have fished these places before - are they as wonderful as I've read about, or are they very busy and overfished? Would it make a big difference if i went there midweek rather than the weekend? Also, are there any other places that might be worth a look first - needs to be day ticket or free.

Grateful for any assistance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hopefully going to go fishing some time in november and try and catch my first barbel.

I've looked into the famous Royalty and Throop fisheries, but wondered if they're the best thing to go for.

Many of you must have fished these places before - are they as wonderful as I've read about, or are they very busy and overfished? Would it make a big difference if i went there midweek rather than the weekend? Also, are there any other places that might be worth a look first - needs to be day ticket or free.

Grateful for any assistance.

Where abouts are you? There are loads of places where you can catch barbel near the south coast. Don't disregard joining a club, although they cost more than a single day ticket there are some clubs that are cheap enoughto make the ticket cheaper than a load of day tickets before too long!

Rich

Thanks Rich.

I'm in west Kent. I've heard there's some barbel on the eden and upper stretches of the Medway, and may try and join Tunbridge Wells or Penshurst next year. I'm also keen on chub, so they should suit me well. But for this autumn, I'm hoping to find somewhere that I can go to without spending too much.

Thanks Rich.

I'm in west Kent. I've heard there's some barbel on the eden and upper stretches of the Medway, and may try and join Tunbridge Wells or Penshurst next year. I'm also keen on chub, so they should suit me well. But for this autumn, I'm hoping to find somewhere that I can go to without spending too much.

I'm sure there will be some people closer to you that can advise! You could also try the kennet as it might be easier to get to for you!

Calling all Kent barbel anglers can anyone help?

Rich

I'm sure there will be some people closer to you that can advise! You could also try the kennet as it might be easier to get to for you!

Calling all Kent barbel anglers can anyone help?

Rich

"Kent barbel anglers"

Wanzelbin,despite the one time record having come from the upper reachs of the Medway,Medway barbel are in reality very rare creatures! as are the Stour ones to! Just a handfull of fish in small confined areas.

If you just want to go and catch some barbell then believe me the best bet is to just "bite the bullet" and take a 3 hour drive up to the Midlands and fish the Severn! Plenty of them to catch (easily) and on easily acsessable day ticket stretchs of the river.

The travelling thing (other than fuel costs) is some thing I try and rationalise by saying why worry about 3 hours driving if your going to have 8 hours good fishing rather than a 1 hour drive and have 10 hours poor fishing!

The Severn is a great place to go and catch barbel in numbers and therefore great for your first one.If you fancy it let me know and I will give you some more details on venues,baits,rigs,methods etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

November is not really the best time to try and catch your first barbel unless conditions are right.

This year has been mild but there have usually been frosts by now and that makes barbel fishing a whole different proposition to summer.

You are better off starting in summer unless you can fish a prolific venue in a flood.

Big barbel are caught in the winter but big catches are rare unless there is a warm flood or you really know what you are doing and know where there are fish.

You also need to be able to fish after dark if you really want to succeed

Thanks very much everyone for your comments.

Budgie, I'm happy to travel and would really appreciate any more info on particular venues on the Severn that would be worth a look.

I'll also look into the Lea. I thought i read a while ago that it had suffered badly from dredging, but think it was an old book and perhaps not even the same river!

Dogfish - I thought autumn was supposed to be a good time for barbel? Not really sure where I got that idea from. Is it that they don't feed so much, or is it simply harder to locate them?

Thanks again all

Hi wanzelbin, there is some good barbel fishing on the river lea at Fishers Green and Kings Weir, but I'm not sure whether it's day ticket there or not.

Personally I've been catching them further upstream past Hertford and have caught fish to about 8lb.

There's also a day ticket stretch at stanborough but that tends to be very busy on the weekends.

If you're interested in a trip up this way PM me and I'll sort something out for you.

I wont be doing any more barbel fishing this year (purely because Im doing other things) but you are more than welcome to acompany me up to the Midlands next September/October and I will gladly show you some of the stetchs I fish and how I fish for them.

I dont think (from what Ive been told) that its quite so prolific as it gets much colder but if you still want to have a go this year PM me for the details.

Ive never fished the Lea but can you garantee easy numbers of fish (like the Severn) or is it just the ocaisional fish? I ask this as there are several waters that Ive caught barbel from but few that are as consistant as the Severn.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!