Where to catch a barbel?

wanzelbin

Thanks Jigotai and Budgie for your kind offers of help. Not sure I'm going to be able to sort anything out before it starts to get cold though, so may not be worth it this year. I'd thought barbel were a bit like chub and fed fairly well through the winter, but obviously not.

Thanks again everyone.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbel will feed and will feed well throughout the winter but it very much depends on the temperature.

The best conditions are during a warm flood but the feeding window will be limited.

Unless you have local knowledge and are able to fish at short notice then the odds are against you.

They will feed in cold weather but only if temperatures are stable and you are able to fish in the dark in a place where you know there are barbel.

Unless you know the river well I would not even think about fishing in a flood. You really do not want to be on the banks of rivers like the Severn, after dark, in rising water....it is very dangerous and finding barbel would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

They are very pedictable and very catchable in the right conditions, at the right time and if you know they are likely to be in your swim.

However the winter is not a good time to try and catch barbel unless you are very flexible and can fish at short notice and know the likely holding areas.

They will certainly not feed in cold conditions like chub.

The popularity of winter barbel is because they tend to be at their heaviest in the winter but bear in mind that many anglers stop fishing for them in November because of the difficulties mentioned.

Ive never fished the Lea but can you garantee easy numbers of fish (like the Severn) or is it just the ocaisional fish? I ask this as there are several waters that Ive caught barbel from but few that are as consistant as the Severn.

Hi Budgie, I had no problems catching this year but It's normally only 2 or 3 fish at a time during short sessions in the evening. I've never fished the severn so it's difficult to compare but by your post it sounds like the severn is good place to try.

Andy

I have to get sorted for football at the moment and we are having a disco later to raise funds for the team! I will answer later as I have fished the Lea, Throop etc and give what advice I can.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Wanselbin, you are in West Kent? Can't be to far from M25 and M4?

Get yourself a Reading & district ticket...17 miles of gorgeous river with stacks of barbel, specially in the top stretches.

Probably within 1 hour of you, specially if you travel early to beat the rush on M25

Don't waste your time on the Lea or Stour, 'orrible places :)

If you fancy a bit of real exploration then you could try the R Eden on the Penshurst ticket....simply GOT to be a few in that stretch, there are certainly some good chub, and it is the most unspoilt bit of river you could wish for and midweek you will be on your own..............

Den PS water temps are still well up so you should still be able to catch....

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Football out of the way for few days! Right, river Lee, I used to fish Fishers Green, lovly small intimet river used to be on 2 tickets, CEMEX and Lee Valley Parks. Loads of fish, if you do go there don't ignore the relief canal lots of big fish in there.

Throop, I had my 1st double out of there a few years back on halloween day 14lb 2oz there were only 2 of us on the stretch that day, so mid week a good time to go. If you decide to venture down Christchurch way, phone Davis tackle or just ask when you go in for your day ticket they will tell where is fishing at the time.

As long as the water temp is above about 45degrees you will have no problem catching barbel. If it goes below that don't use trout pelletts use meat or boilies. I caught my Throop fish on a Campbells meat ball!

The main thing is to make sure you if you do catch one that you give them plenty of time to recover. What ever you do please do not just let it go otherwise it will just turn belly up and die!

I can get you a guest ticket for the Loddon at Reading, Sindlesham Mill, for £8 if you want some help/advice just let me know.

lyn

PS Maybe we should have a southern barbel fish in :)

As long as your cooking brekfast mate!

I don't mind cooking breakfast but if you & Andrew are going then I best start stock piling :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

lyn

PS Could you please bring my pillow to Timsbury ;)

Edited by lyn

I think Sindlesham will be a bit like the upper Medway IE a few Barbel In select Swims rathert than a good head of fish spread out as I believe is the case a litle further up the M4 on the Kennet.

Funily enough I live about 3 Miles from the part of the upper Medway where all the Barbel were/are caught but have only fished the venue twice and both times in a match. I was actually pegged in the Swim the record breaker came from(at least once) but only managed to catch Minnows. In neither match, or others I have observed have I seen or heard of a Barbel Caught so as others have sugested it might not be the best place to Break your Duck. That said the upper Medway is a very readable water where I am sure a bit of effort would be rewarded.

Now that I am in retirement as a Match Angler I have promissed myself that I will try to get a Tunbridge Wells card and get a Barbel form the venue.