My first day out fishing with feeder

Twist

Sounds like you have the basics OK...casting to same spot.........recasting every 25 mins or so...all good basic tactics.

As others have said, smaller hook, no14 with two maggots, I would start off with a 4" hooklink, plenty of solid evidence that it is usually the best option. If the fish are nosing around your feeder, then you want the hookbait close by.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Not sure what make of line its a cheap nasty one I know that.

Bear in mind that all you have to connect you to the fish is line & hook so you need to spool up with a good brand of line or else you will be losing fish you should have been able to land.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Are cage feeders any good for lake fishing?

I would say that it depends upon the depth in which you are fishing. Cage feeders have the potential to empty before they reach the bottom. I would use a block end when fishing in over 8 feet of water.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Agree with everything already said. If the fish aren't likely to tear off its advisable to, after your first cast, clip your line so that you are casting the same distance every time. Also if its allowed it may be an idea to try a mainline of braid. it tends to be less stretchy so the bites are more direct. I find that Drennan Braid is adequate and one of the cheaper options (£4.99 for 100 metres).

Hi Twist,

looks like you live near me! I've not been over to Goldsworth Park this season, but was interested in fishing it so I e-mailed the council and they sent me a HUGE pack of stuff with lake records, a lake map (with depths, very useful) and other goodies. If you want any more info, PM me. I'd like some more mates to go fishing with too xD

Hi Twist,

looks like you live near me! I've not been over to Goldsworth Park this season, but was interested in fishing it so I e-mailed the council and they sent me a HUGE pack of stuff with lake records, a lake map (with depths, very useful) and other goodies. If you want any more info, PM me. I'd like some more mates to go fishing with too xD

Damn when I emailed the council they just told me what fish were in the olake and how much a day ticket was. How annoying. I have emailed them again to ask for a pack, hopefully they will send me one.

Are cage feeders any good for lake fishing?

Yea they're fine. You could try using a cage feeder if you want to disperse feed near the surface or in shallow water, an open-end feeder as you go deeper, tape up the holes on the feeder if you want to go slightly deeper still or on the bottom and block-end feeders if you're fishing directly on the bottom. The size of the feeder, the holes on the feeder, the weight of the feeder, the contents of the feeder and the nature of your groundbait will all dictate how your feed is dispersed. This is why it's always a good idea to use a snap-link for attaching your feeders. You might want to change feeders, reduce or increase the amount of feed or even do away with the feeder and change to a plain lead or an arlesey bomb.

Chop and change and see how quickly bites develop.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...