Dumping Norton

Ken L

Just bringing this to the top again. I've got a new PC which is running norton since it was free for 60 days. I have downloaded AVG but not run it yet. At the moment norton seems to be working very smoothly so I'm wondering whether I should actually stick with it and subscribe or bin it and switch to avg ? I've been very happy with avg on the old machine so I'd be interested in peoples thoughts.

Cheers,

Rob.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bringing this to the top again. I've got a new PC which is running norton since it was free for 60 days. I have downloaded AVG but not run it yet. At the moment norton seems to be working very smoothly so I'm wondering whether I should actually stick with it and subscribe or bin it and switch to avg ? I've been very happy with avg on the old machine so I'd be interested in peoples thoughts.

Cheers,

Rob.

After a few years of Norton, I dumped it and downloaded NOD32.

My 30 days free trial is up tomorrow, and I'll be suscribing to that instead.

Highly acclaimed, cheaper, less hungry for resources, and the virus definitions sometimes auto-update several times a day (unlike Norton where I think the definitions get updated weekly, and you need to manually use Liveupdate to check for updates to the software).

Also running free Zonealarm, and Spyware Blaster, and at times scanning with Spybot and Adaware.

(AOL scans incoming and outgoing emails for viruses with McAfee)

Not had any problems at all :)

Once the 3 month free Norton expired on my M-in-Law's laptop, I set her up with AVG as she hardly uses the internet, so doesn't need 'heavy-duty' protection (again with all the freebies mentioned

above).

This table shows the effectiveness ofmost AV software, so you can compare NOD32, Norton AVG etc:

http://www.nod32.com.au/compare/compare_vb100.html

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

My Norton expires on the 20th June, so I'm going to switch to AVG for purely financial reasons this time!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

This table shows the effectiveness ofmost AV software, so you can compare NOD32, Norton AVG etc:

http://www.nod32.com.au/compare/compare_vb100.html

Umm, that site is good but biased to it's own product plus it doesn't list AVG on it. Interesting to note my ex's AV software, which she was recommended is right near the bottom (Panda).

I think I'll switch back to AVG pro, especially since I have an unexpired licence - just gotta to ask them for the key code again after the death of the old PC.

Cheers,

Rob.

Been with Nort9n for several years (10? ) and never any problems, if it is good enough foe most manufacturers to install on new products, then it's good enough for me :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Umm, that site is good but biased to it's own product plus it doesn't list AVG on it. Interesting to note my ex's AV software, which she was recommended is right near the bottom (Panda).

I think I'll switch back to AVG pro, especially since I have an unexpired licence - just gotta to ask them for the key code again after the death of the old PC.

Cheers,

Rob.

er

"Grisoft AVG" is listed 4th from last Rob.

The table isn't biased (it's from 'Virus Bulletin'), but the site might only be listing that particular table because it's so highly rated!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Wel I have FINALLY done it!! I have uninstalled AVG!! So if Nod 32 does NOT work it will be YOUR fault Mr (everything Oz) Roskilly! :D

To be honest I have used AVG (Free) for YEARS!! And it has NEVER ever let me down! But I recently had a problem with the paid version which after sveeral years felt I should pay for the use of the programme. BIG MISTAKE!! That was a downward slippery slope! They SAY they offer support but th reality is a lot different I have to say. i then let the licenec expire and when I came to install the free version it picked up on this and then proceeded to offre me a new licence at a reduced price to the previous offer when I held a copy of the licence?? I HATE that!! If I do not buy it I can get it cheaper than someone who does pay for the licence?? NOT on my watch!

So Leon, thank you for your ressomendation friend!! I will enjoy it. Just one thing, HOW much is it?, I can't seem to find that out?? :D

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Just one thing, HOW much is it?, I can't seem to find that out?? :D

https://secure.eset.co.uk/order/category.asp?intCategoryId=7

£23.00 for a single PC (I believe that renewal is cheaper for subsequent years)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Thanks Leon!! AGAIN!!! :D

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))