venues around newcastle upon tyne

steve17

My mates started uni at newcastle upon tyne and is struggling to find places to fish, hes tried the river at durham with little success, can anyone please reccomend other day ticket venues accessible via the metro or train thats not too far a journey?

thanks in advance..

steve.

Without transport you are pushing it for coarse fishing around Newcastle. The Wansbeck and Cramlington have got a couple of goodish waters within twenty minutes or so drive of the town center. If he is staying on Redhall Drive campus then the TAA water at Killingworth is within reach of a reasonable cycle ride. Failing that Bigwaters have a day ticket water at Marden quarry in Whitley Bay that can be reached by bus from there.

The famous/notorious Angel of the North fishery I cannot comment on as I have never been there. The prices and adverse publicity that it has received have put me off the place.

There is also Leazes park in the center of the town itself. Once again though I cannot speak from personal experience but from what I have heard it is probably a better bet than the Angel and very easy to get to on the bus from anywhere in Newcastle.

A quick search of the relevant web sites would be his best bet.

My mates started uni at newcastle upon tyne and is struggling to find places to fish, hes tried the river at durham with little success, can anyone please reccomend other day ticket venues accessible via the metro or train thats not too far a journey?

thanks in advance..

Hi mate, im from sunderland, moved to london couple years ago.

there is some good river fishing on tyne and the wear when you get inland, there is one place i know of in newcastle, which is supposed to be not to bad, its the name i know how to say but not spell, "the leas" is the way its said.

but your in a sea fishing area mainly mate, for clubs and that.

If you have a day free, get over to sunderland. there is a good lake there with everyhting in it, i fished it 10 years, and tell you how to fish iiiit well. got carp, bream, tench cruican, roach, some very good perch.

only a couple of pounds for day ticket when i left. maybe little more now.

PM me and i will help you out, with location, how to get there from where you are. and the likes.

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

"There is also Leazes park in the center of the town itself"

Definately the water I`d start with if I was without transport.Bag in the city and only yards from most of the student accomadation.You can join the club or fish on day ticket.Cater`s for most coarse fishing from carp to perch and roach.

All the info you need here http://www.leazesangling.com/

Enjoy

DS

It has been 7 odd years since i left the toon.... i did have some success at the free hexham stretch of the tyne albeit on the small course side and a few trout. I cant comment on leazes park but it has to be worth a bash. Most of my ne fishing was to do with the coast (beachcasting at longsands on a rising tide for example). And for the most part its free. Im sure that there are a multitude of sea charter options open to you. And if you want to head further afield alnmouth offers good flatfish and the chance of salmon/ sea trout when they are running- plus a train service from central station.

Hope this helps

Liam

Edited by liamfish

• 1 month later...

dont know if im a bit late on this one theres leazers park right behind st james stadium which floating bread works really well theres also the river wear at chester-le-street which has got some really good perch and or if you can drive there is a place called prudhoe which i use to fish as a kid it was a club water and just up from prudhoe tthere was a place called willys lakes or somehing along them lines these places i fished over 9 years ago as a kid so it would be ideal to reccee them out first

tight lines

prudhoe tthere was a place called willys lakes or somehing along them lines these places i fished over 9 years ago as a kid so it would be ideal to reccee them out first

Willy`s Well at Prudhoe is closed to anglers due to a litter problem!

DS