Pike or chub in mid wales

david t

Hello

Im interested in finding some pike or chub fishing in mid wales. Im at university in Aberystwyth, and should soon have my car here, so i can drive to some good fishing. Ive tried the sea fishing here, its ok, but i would prefer coarse fishing. I am willing to drive 1 1/2 hours, maybe 2 maximum, I am interested in fishing the Wye or Severn rivers. I have had a look on the wye and usk passport site, but I thought I would ask people first hand.

I say chub, as i think i could drive to some chub reaches on either of the two rivers, and pike as I hear they are widespread in the wye. I would get day tickets as long as they are under £10, or a season ticket for under £30.

anyone recommend any fishing on either the upper/mid severn or wye then?

Im interested in rivers primarily.

many thanks for your help,

dave.

Must admit, I never did any freshwater fishing while I was at Aber, but I didn't have a car for most of the time I was a student. The Severn and the Wye are possible I guess, but it's a long drive. There's loads of game fishing in the area, considered taking up fly fishing? :lol:

Cheers mate

I have considered taking up game fishing, but I cant afford to shell out on game tackle at the moment, also from what i gather, the prime time for the Rheidol and Ystwyth is may to october, and as im a 3rd year, I would only have about a month within which to fish! But if it wasnt for that I would love to, I have to admit a good sea trout would be more than enough to bring a smile to my face.

I was thinking about pike or chub on the severn, as I already have the tackle for them, and I could easily target them in the winter.

Out of interest, what course did you do at Aber? you werent a biology student by any chance were you??

Cheers, Dave.

There are no natural chub populations in the rivers flowing unto Cardigan Bay that I know of. The Severn and the Wye are both a good drive so your best bet might be to head north to the Dee.

There will be pike in almost all of the bigger stillwaters but they're almost all trout/fly only. I supose you might be able to blag some pike fishing if you could get in with the controlling bodies but what they ask you to do with your catch probably wouldn't sit well with an ethical angler.

Personally, I'd have a crack at the mullet in the harbours at places like Aberaeron but if you're prepared to pay and want some coarse fishing try:

Aberaeron & District Coarse Angling Club, Y Waun Pond, Llanarth n (01545) 580217;

Llanarth Coarse Fishery - has a 2 acre pond with Carp, Tench, Bream and Roach and another mixed coarse pond. It is just off the A487 south of the filling station at Llanarth. Bait is available on site and charges are £5 per day. 01545-580598.

Llanerchaeron: East of Aberaeron. 2 miles of fishing on the River Aeron. Permits from National Trust Office 01570 - 471034

Fron Farm Fishery, Bontnewydd, Bronnant. Four lakes, one for coarse angling and three for Trout and Atlantic Salmon. Full disabled access to the lower lake and night fishing available. Open all year .

01974 - 251392

Nine Oaks Fishery, Oakford 01545 580482 / 07976 283958 3 Trout pools stocked with Rainbows, Blues and Tiger Trout from 2lbs. It has 2 superb Coarse lakes and 1 well stocked Novices pool.

Plwmp Pond: Full disabled access. Plwmp Pond, Plwmp (01239) 654055. Fish: Carp, Roach, Chub, Rudd, Tench, Perch, Gudgeon, Bream. Permits: Full or associate permits for visiting anglers available from Aeron Sports, Bridge St., Aberaeron; Castaway, 1 College Row, Cardigan.

Rhydlewis Trout Fishery: 3 acre lake and onsite smokery - 01239 - 851224

Teglan Fishery 01570 471 115.

is at Ciliau Aeron (on the main road from Aberaeron to Lampeter) . They have 2 lakes as well as river fishing on the Aeron. £6 per person per day. Permits required. They also have disabled access.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Dave,

I was an aquatic biology undergrad from '91-'94. I worked as a research assistant for John Fish during the Summer of '94 on a project studying 0-group bass and mullet in the estuaries. I was then a PhD student under Bob Wootton, but was an external student based at the Institute of Freshwater Biology on Windermere. I didn't visit Aber much at all over that time, though I did visit Bob while writing up after leaving the institute. I was last there for my viva, which was horrible. I didn't attend the graduation in person, since having been an external I wouldn't have known anyone. I keep meaning to visit Aber, still having a couple of friends living in the area, but never get round to it.

Cheers,

Steve

Try the Montgomeryshire angling ass. They have water on the Severn upstream from Welshpool, The Vyrnwy (I think) and the Banwy and some smaller waters. The BAA also have some water and Prince Albert.

The Welsh Dee would be your next best. They are all a bit of a drive away.

Many thanks ken, thats very helpful, i feel more comfortable on rivers, I will follow some of those leads you mention though, either way, im probably in for a drive, Im not really considering doing it every weekend, just the occasional trip when the weather is right, so I could put up with a big drive once every few weeks.

Steve, I am doing marine and freshwater biology, although, my main interest is the freshwater side. John Fish is still here, he is head of biology, and is in my opinion a good old boy, Bob Wootton is still here too, although i dont have much to do with him. Its a nice place on the whole I think.

Dogfish, cheers, I will, if it means a lesser drive, go somewhere like the upper severn, I will happily go after grayling instead.

You probably see what im getting at, i would like to just get on a river occasionally here, im not too bothered what i fish for, be it chub, grayling, dace or pike, as long as im river fishing.

cheers all.

i will have to get hold of a road atlas, and see whats in range.

Edited by david t

You will find that there are some very big Chub to be caught on the upper Severn and Vyrnwy. You will need to check out which permit covers what as I have not fished that area for a few years.

You will probably find a Montgomery permit to be around £20 a year but best check in tackle shops in Newtown or Welshpool.

Edited by dogfish

Ah, newtown or welshpool are in my range, definately, and big chub, big chub are my downfall!!

some people have chocolate as a downfall, for me its seeing the head of a big dog chub go over the landing net! I will get onto the wales fishing website, they have lots of club info.

cheers.

dave.

Edited by david t