Advice needed for grayling tackle

Sportsman

Hi

This year, after years of fly fishing with a bit of piking on the side, I have decided to try for some of the grayling on the Tay and Isla.

I havn't done this style of fishing for years so need some advice on tackle, tactics etc.

I imagine long trotting a float with worm or maggot (if I can find some up here, are they sold mail order?)

so will need an appropriate rod, not expensive as this may not catch on :) Anyone got a good second hand ?

Reels I have so terminal tackle is the next thing. last time I did this style of fishing, floats were porcupine quills and shot was made from lead, so suggestions please, and bear in mind I don't know my stick float from a waggler.

There is also a chance that I could be fishing for Perch and Ide in a local loch so tackle that can do both would be good.

Be kind to a decrepit old coffin dodger who would like to repeat at least some of the fun he had as a youth :)

Thanks

Dave Olley

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi

This year, after years of fly fishing with a bit of piking on the side, I have decided to try for some of the grayling on the Tay and Isla.

I havn't done this style of fishing for years so need some advice on tackle, tactics etc.

I imagine long trotting a float with worm or maggot (if I can find some up here, are they sold mail order?)

so will need an appropriate rod, not expensive as this may not catch on :) Anyone got a good second hand ?

Reels I have so terminal tackle is the next thing. last time I did this style of fishing, floats were porcupine quills and shot was made from lead, so suggestions please, and bear in mind I don't know my stick float from a waggler.

There is also a chance that I could be fishing for Perch and Ide in a local loch so tackle that can do both would be good.

Be kind to a decrepit old coffin dodger who would like to repeat at least some of the fun he had as a youth :)

Thanks

Dave Olley

Hi Sportsman

Trotting Grayling

The method that is generally used for this type of fishing would be for trotting style. The rod should be a 'match rod' at least 12' long with either a fixed spool or a centre pin attached. I would load my reel's with 3lb test float line.

Float should have a big enough tip to enable you to see at distance, and would be a stick float (rubbers attached top and bottom). The size of the float is dependent on flow of water, if its pushing through at a fast pace you will need a 3AA rated float if less say, a 4BB. But dont worry too much as long as the float glides through the swim, and you can see it , thats the important thing.

You will need to bulk most of the shot down the line ie 3/4 of the depth. The 'bulk' shot shold be bunched together, this will reduce tangles on cast, and will get the hookbait down quicker and I would use smaller split shot to a combination of the suggested requirement weight for the float.

Hooks If using maggots size 14 or 16 'crystal' pattern, tied direct to the 3lb mainline, worms a size 12.

If using magotts, loose feed a few at a time into the river and trot the float behind these, the bites will be quick, so ensure you keep in contact with the float..no slack line, ensure the line is always directly behind the float on a trot, by 'mending' the line.

Its great fun and probably the best of all methods in coarse fishing, as much skill involved as using a fly.

For still water fishing as above, but you will need a waggler float, attach the float with the bulk shot above and below the float eye. The waggler is attached bottom eye only, and the smaller shot follow down the line with the smallest shot nearest the hook.

Suggest you Google WMAF, Bennetts or Tacklebargains for gear, a rod will be about £40 tops.

Hope this helps :)

you will find all you need at the stirling Angling centre, including a centre pin if you need 1 (you don't but they are excellent). And no i have no connection with the shop. He also sells maggots, good quality, by the pint or half pint ,not in the rip off tubs sold by certain Perth shops. Worth a visit. Rabbit has given good advice. Good luck with the trotting.

The Tay is a lovely river to fish, and there are also plenty good size roach too. :D

Very interesting!

As a Scottish resident and transplanted southerner (well, Welshman actually) who mainly fly fishes these days, I'm also very interested in digging out my coarse tackle and having a go for grayling (and roach if they can be found). Are there any bait limitations whilst fishing the Tay or Tummel or can you pretty much use what you want? I'm not really looking for guidance on tackle as I've done plenty of float fishing in the past but some pointers as to the most coarse-friendly bits of the Tay or other rivers would be gratefully received. I understand that there were other Scottish rivers that held roach at one time, the Tweed being the most notable and the East Lothian Tyne being another. I believe that the giant shoals of roach that were once at Coldstream are no more due to the over-zealous nature of the "pest control" inflicted upon the river by salmon interests but is the Tweed worth fishing?

Very interesting!

As a Scottish resident and transplanted southerner (well, Welshman actually) who mainly fly fishes these days, I'm also very interested in digging out my coarse tackle and having a go for grayling (and roach if they can be found). Are there any bait limitations whilst fishing the Tay or Tummel or can you pretty much use what you want? I'm not really looking for guidance on tackle as I've done plenty of float fishing in the past but some pointers as to the most coarse-friendly bits of the Tay or other rivers would be gratefully received. I understand that there were other Scottish rivers that held roach at one time, the Tweed being the most notable and the East Lothian Tyne being another. I believe that the giant shoals of roach that were once at Coldstream are no more due to the over-zealous nature of the "pest control" inflicted upon the river by salmon interests but is the Tweed worth fishing?

For both species maggot wins especially for grayling, though I'm sure casters would be good for roach. Maybe not at all scientific but i find red maggs better than white for grayling. Loosefeeding works very well but beware, it could be construed as "groundbaiting" which is illegal for game species (and technically grayling are a game species) basically don't overdo it and especially in front of salmon anglers. Use a bait dropper for deeper faster swims. Some bats now ban sweetcorn as people were throwing in enough to feed a shoal of barbel....small trout were unable to digest it.

Pikergonecarpin.....are there still roach in any numbers? None in harbour last few times i went. I'd be very interested in roach potential.

Thanks everyone (BTW nice to see you back rabbit, thanks for the in depth response :) )

Teejay, if you fancy a joint effort on the Tay or the Tummel some time get in touch.

I have heard about the roach on the Tay and would also like to give that a go.

Not only that but now I have an excuse to buy lots of lovely new tackle :):)

I havn't fished it for a couple of years, but have been reliably informed that the roach are making a comeback. The harbour used to be the best place in winter when they were all shoaled up (before they netted it :( ). A few years ago the roach fishing was great, with 2 lbers not uncommon (i still couldn't get one though)

The fishing is free in the tidal sections, but don't try outwith these areas. It's salmon country and they don't take kindly to coarse anglers fishing their beats. :whistling:

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I havn't fished it for a couple of years, but have been reliably informed that the roach are making a comeback. The harbour used to be the best place in winter when they were all shoaled up (before they netted it :( ). A few years ago the roach fishing was great, with 2 lbers not uncommon (i still couldn't get one though)

The fishing is free in the tidal sections, but don't try outwith these areas. It's salmon country and they don't take kindly to coarse anglers fishing their beats. :whistling:

Paul.

I know, I fish there for salmon from time to time :P

Having said that I am sure i read something about having access for other species. I'll look it up.

looked it up and it says something about access here

http://www.fishingnet.com/coarse_fishing.htm

don' know how that translates in fact

Edited by Sportsman